Winter Lawn Care

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by rjeffers, Jan 6, 2005.

1. rjeffers

rjeffers LawnSite Member

I just recently purchased a home for the first time and I've acquired a lawn that looks to be in much need of some TLC. There are a lot of patchy areas where there is no grass and the areas that do have grass, is brown. It's now winter where I am (MD) and the temper is hovering around 40-50 degrees.

What can I do now to restore my yard for spring, fall, and even fall of next year?

Any help, advance for someone that knows nothing would be great.

Thanks.

Rod

2. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Might want to wait until spring rolls around to see what happens with the brown patches, it could just be dormant. Do you know what type of grass it is? Your local cooperative extension will probably have a bunch of free info on what you can do and even a schedule as what to do and when. They often have free classes or really inexpensive ones. You may be able to seed, use sprigs to propagate new growth. A lot of what you can do will be based upon how much you want to spend. There could be insects that caused damage to the lawn or a fungus or maybe it wasn't properly maintained to start with. I'd start with the extension service first because it's not going to cost much if anything and they may have a better idea of what is best in your arera or yoou could get some estimates from one of the members here that is in your area if that is more convient for you. Can you post some good photos in close on the possibly dormant stuff and some general shots? This may get you some more detailed responses. :waving:

3. bif

bif LawnSite Member
    from PA

i understand that now is a good time to "dormant seed"...

I always thought fall and spring were the best times to overseed, but several college websites (ag extensions) say that winter is an excellent time to overseed, when the ground is thawed...

fall is best, then winter...

Steve

4. grassman2001

grassman2001 LawnSite Member

Winter is a great time to overseed. Just make sure you rake all leaves and debris off the lawn, and grow ahead and seed, and it should germinate come spring. Wait till you cut a couple times to fertlize for the first time.

5. rjeffers

rjeffers LawnSite Member

Will I need to lay straw on the ground to cover?

The previous owners had a compost bin I've acquired. Should I cover the seed with the compost from the bin?

Lastly, what type of dorment seed should I buy? Will it actually say, "dorment seed" on the label?

Sorry if these questions sound off the wall. I'm really just learning from scratch.

Oh, and I will try post pictures of my lawn as previously suggested.

Thanks again.

6. grassman2001

grassman2001 LawnSite Member

I would assume the grasses in Maryland are relatively the same compared to Ohio. I would use turf fescue. No straw really isnt needed for over seeding, but if the bare spots are relatively large then you might put some straw down to prevent the seed from washing away.