1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Winter Maintenance

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by KTNC, Nov 4, 2002.

1. KTNC

KTNC LawnSite Member

When storing a Lazer 25/60 for winter, what position do you recommend putting the deck in? IE: supported on the floor or in the transport position?

Also other than the usual of cleaning the machine, changing oil, fuel stabilizer, etc., any other recommendations before parking for winter, a little begrudgingly I might add...:)

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

A couple of things you might want to consider in addition to the items you mentioned would be to disconnect the battery and put a trickle charge on it every now and then to make sure it stays charged.

I'd wait to change the engine oil now but hold off on the hydro oil/filter change until spring. This will help ensure that you get any water/condensation out of the reservoir after the units set for an extended period of time.

A lot of guys will park the unit where they plan to leave it for the winter. They'll then pull the plugs and put a teaspoon of oil in each cylinder, crank the engine over a couple of times to coat the cylinder/rings and then put the plugs back in and leave it till spring. This helps insure that as air moved in and out of the cylinder and the temperature increases and decreases that you don't get any rust in there from the condensation.

Also remember that most of the fuel stabilizers only keep the fuel from separating and causing varnish in the components. The fuel after setting for a few months won't want to burn nearly as well as it did before you parked it. Fresh fuel in the spring is going to be a good idea as well. I'd probably go ahead and hit each lubrication point before I parked it as well.

As long as you grease the mower before you park it for winter I don't think it really matters where you put the deck for storage.

If you've got access to compressed air I'd probably blow the machine off real well and blow out the cooling fins for the engine as well before parking it. At a minimum blow through the air intake screen on the front of the engine.