1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Winter Marketing

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by JRSlawn, Nov 29, 2007.

1. JRSlawn

JRSlawn LawnSite Senior Member

What all do you guys do for winter marketing? I am looking to start booking jobs for the spring I was thinking about doing some winter sale post cards the home and garden show and maybe an add in one of our local papers. Just wanted to see what everyone does to spike interest in the winter season.
  2. MJK

MJK LawnSite Senior Member

Very interested in this also, I was thinking about a direct mail campaign offering a Landscape Constultation for free.
  3. JRSlawn

I tryed to offer free design with purchase deal but no one really bits on that I am thinking like 10-20%off by signing up before the frist of the year for a project for the upcomming season. This will help us out big time by letting us be in the field as soon as the weather breaks instead of being out hustling jobs. Another problem we run into is design time our designer gets pretty busy early spring with the rush but he can ushally turn things out in a day or two this time of year.
  4. forestfireguy

forestfireguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

We do the garden show every year, it generates some good interest, best advice, do a giveaway, we did 5 yards of mulch last year. To enter this drawing you give them a card to fill out name, addy and phone number. Ask them if you can call them towards the end of the winter to schedule an appointment, or schedule one right then.
  5. JRSlawn

Last year we had a drawing for $250.00 off any landscape job the lady we drew didn't build her new house so no one won. We sent out a mailing to all who entered and recieved 1 call for new work I would say last years show generated 10 decent jobs ranging from maintenance to installs we hope to push hardscapes this year big time. I am also going to get foot balls with our phone and logo on the to give out.
  6. csl

csl LawnSite Member

we had a ton of luck last year with the home and yard show, but our show is enormous so its hard to get into. and of course we got lots of homeowners who were there only to ask questions of our expertise so they could go home and fail miserably trying to do an install. we actually had one guy who wanted $125,000 worth of stone work, and then called us out to his house to show him how to do it. moron. we have had a lot of luck meating contractors, taking them to lunch, and letting them know why to choose us instead of the next guy. gets us a lot of new construction, which is preferable.
  7. JRSlawn

I had the same thing they would call me out ask what I could show them for free and then do a large retaining wall with no backfill and all the joints lined up oh well I guess everyone has a few of them. What do you take when you go meet a contractor for lunch I am thinking about putting together a small powerpoint for hardscapes/landscapes so I can run it on my laptop instead of just feading them printed lit. Just an idea I am also goingto get our website up and going so I can point them in that direction as well.
  8. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Now i know how i am going to advertise in the spring!!! Maybe i'll get the booth next to yours!

Seriously, how are the quality of leads?
  9. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

Have a very nice huge sign made, put it on the back of your trailer, and go park at a HD, Lowes, or any high end area and sit by the phone. We tried this last year with a lot of success. Saturday and Sundays were the best days. I have even parked in front, near, or inside certain neighborhoods early saturday morning, and it worked pretty good. This is a very inexpensive (cheap) way of advertising. You are not wasting money with mailers, or time with flyers. I would avg about 3 to 4 calls a day which was great for just parking my truck. We save the mass mailers for the spring with the impulse is high.
  10. New Heights

New Heights LawnSite Member

I hate doing it but "cold calls" have always worked for me....most of the time the clients dident even know I was still in business or lost my number and were looking to have more work done. Ill say about 50% or more of our work are repeate clients looking to add on to or do something new... I call them the "golden goose" they keep coming back and keep spending money.