Winter months price change?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by stevenf, Sep 20, 2007.

1. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you wait for your customers to request twice a week cuts when it starts to slow down in growth toward the end of the year or do you have a set schedual like twice a week starting in october?
    Also, I know most (along with myself) charge more for biweekly cuts then I do for weekly cuts. Do you keep the same price when you start cutting your weekly customers biweekly? Or do you give them the biweekly price?
  2. privatelawn

privatelawn LawnSite Senior Member

I pretty much have it set, nov-april biweekly but I charge per month so there monthly price does not change.
  3. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

I've noticed that clients like it when "you" take the inititive to cut their grass only when it really requires it. As the grasses start to slow down in growth I start putting clients on a two-week schedule.

Just this week alone I placed about 1/2 dozen accounts on the two-week schedule, eventually almost all of our clients end up on that schedule.

Do I charge more because their only being serviced every other week? No, because "I" placed them on that schedule they didn't ask to be put on it.
  4. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

So yall do cut during the winter (year round)???????
  5. Down2EarthLawns

Down2EarthLawns LawnSite Member

That's how I do it too. Same rate, just don't cut as much.
  6. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

In north Mississippi the grass stops growing around Nov. So I stop my regular service on Oct 31 and put everyone on "will call" probably won't start again until about April.
  7. privatelawn

privatelawn LawnSite Senior Member

Here in florida we do, every month of the year, cant wait for november, start cutting every 2 weeks and still get as much $$$ or do mulch jobs and stuff on the weeks I dont mow and make twice as much
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

No, my customers already pay enough for their services, part of my job is to make sure the lawn only gets cut as needed. Probably 5 bucks of every cut is pure extra, this tends to include certain nonsense that comes around, unless it's a lot of extra work the usual cut fee includes the run of the mill year round stuff.

And no, nobody in va cuts their grass once it stops growing, that I know of.
  9. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

Not here, our last cuts are scheduled for October 26th.
    We won't start up again until April.
  10. jbannick18

jbannick18 LawnSite Senior Member

Best way to do it in fl is monthly as stated before nov-fed biweekly march - oct weekly.