Winter Months

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by tdifonzo, Nov 3, 2011.

1. tdifonzo

tdifonzo LawnSite Member

Just Curious. What does everyone do in the "what we call winter" months?

2. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Winter annuals, mulch, pruning, hardscape. Pressure cleaning, gutters, screens. Since we still get paid the same as weekly mowing now is the time to cash in on extras. Of course if your a per cut, one trick pony, mow joe you are screwed.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

I personally do something to learn more with some of the time such as take extension courses or a class. But then the rest of the time I sit around and get fat and dread heading out EOW for the first month or two....I get agitated then...start fights on lawnsite....then get so amped up for spring to get here with the possibility of all those new customers.....I stay amped until about the First of June when I seriously start to get pissed at the world after being in the heat for 11 to 13 hours a day.

4. Patriot Services

One big circle of bipolarity, ocd and depression. Ain't it grand?
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

There are a bunch of guys that don't even show up on the weeks they don't mow.

6. Unless they pay me for it, I don't either. If you break down the numbers on most small accounts(<200/mo), you arent making money showing up every week in the winter. That is how I look at it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Tri-City Outdoors

Tri-City Outdoors LawnSite Member

They receive "x" amount of service per year. Most of them being in the summer months. For lack of a better term. A flat rate monthly is financed. During the cold winter months Jan/Feb. We still show up. We edge, blow things off. Remove that branch you've been ducking under. But not always mow.

8. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

That's why Ben Franklin said "Beer is a sign that God loves us" :laugh:

Going to a four day week & showing up at accounts to tidy up, install annuals, turf, repair irrigation and schmooze.

9. JimmyTheGlove

JimmyTheGlove LawnSite Member

That quote is an extreme exaggeration. So extreme that it's really just a lie. What he actually said was:

"Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine, a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy."

It's proven fact. You can read about it several different places online. Here's one article about it: http://urbanlegends.about.com/b/2008/09/15/misquote-ben-franklin-on-beer.htm

Just thought I'd point that out.. :dancing:

10. Patriot Services

Thank you Captain Killjoy. Beer, wine or liquor its all good in my book.
    Posted via Mobile Device