Winter months

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by lcooper, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Us Florida LCO's enjoy a vacation every other week as we are still getting paid the same amount every month as we did in the growing season. Gotta love that!

2. Toro 455

Toro 455 LawnSite Member

I take winters off. I'm just south of the snow belt. Average 2 plowable snows per winter. That wouldn't even pay for a blade for my truck.

Plus nobody around here fears the snow so they don't want to pay anything.

So I talked my neighbor who had a plow on his wrecker to take my customers that insists on snow plowing.
    He was plowing for a local foreign owned motel. He talked to the manager of the motel. He told her he was going to have to raise his rates from $25/hr. to $35/hr. (this was back in the 80's) She gave him a lot of grief telling him she wouldn't pay more. He got really mad and went out to plow the lot for the last time. He was jamming the automatic transmission from forward to reverse and burst a transmission line! It sprayed fluid on the exhaust, caught on fire and burned to the ground! He got beet red, went back inside and yelled, "Is that worth $35 an hour!"
    When the insurance bought him a new wrecker I timidly ask him, "Are you getting a blade for the new wrecker?" He just said "NO! I'm never plowing snow again!"

I've been going to Florida for the past 10 years. I work like crazy all spring. summer and fall so I feel entitled to take winter off. The bluegrass around here grows like weeds in the spring. I cut it every 4-5 days in the spring. With all the rain this has been one of the best summers ever! This year is the first time I've mowed on a 6 day schedule in August! Woo HOO!

3. birddseedd

birddseedd LawnSite Silver Member

easy???

since when?

4. birddseedd

when i talk with someone about raising rates i'v already decided i'm not working for the same cost so if they do not agree to it i don't do the job

5. trock

trock LawnSite Senior Member

How hard is it to get in the truck and plow?
    Its always been easy. I carry all the repair parts for my plows in the truck. All my customers are on monthly credit card billing once a month I hit the button and Im paid. What makes this process hard?

6. birddseedd

well. for starters, last winter soon as it started my 4x4 went out. need to get it fixed before this winter.

7. trock

trock LawnSite Senior Member

Thats why I only run new trucks for plowing.

8. K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Dec. 1 I'm finished and don't think about grass until the beginning of March. Winter can't come soon enough this year, I've never been this burned out.

9. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

No way, winter's the time for repairs and maintenance, I have enough machines a lot of times I can just drop off the broken one and pick up a working one, unfortunately all that eventually gets to that point where it all needs fixing... Even if that weren't the case there's still that seasonal stuff in ways of maintenance, oil changes and other types of preventative maintenance, winter's the best time for it, I can't afford down time.

10. birddseedd

new truck every year. I find that hard to believe