Winter, Oh How I Miss Thee

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by jasonnau, Apr 19, 2005.

1. jasonnau

jasonnau LawnSite Senior Member

Ah, the smell of flowers, the birds the bees, the twelve hour work days. Hmm, I think I finally can look forward to winter now. I used to hate it. Now that I run my own lco, I think winter is my favorite season.
  2. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

Amen to that!!!
  3. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

I'm so burnt out right now... and the calls keep coming in. I still only mow 3 days a week, but all this landscaping, mulch, and cleanups is keeping me more than busy. I also have a large sod install coming up. I've hired a man to work for me as well and he's 54 years old. Kinda strange being 19 and employing someone that old, but I couldn't ask for more out of this guy. A winter vacation looks so good right now.
  4. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

ahh, spring time how I love thee, let me count the ways

$1k, $2k, $3k, $4k........... payup

I'm sure I'll be ready for winter again when it gets here, but that's a good ways off :D
  5. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

Cmon man!!! This is not the time for that kind of talk. The time to wish for winter is mid May. Your a few weeks early. :D
  6. jasonnau

The phone keeps ringing, every customer flags me down in the yard to add more to my books, I just picked up a Hampton hotel (21 yds mulching, $1,100 pruning, weekly mowing, flowers, landscaping, etc.) They called me on Wednesday, I bid on it and got it. They begged to have the spring clean up done by Friday. Put off my other customers and did the spring clean up on Friday (To make them happy). Now they want the 21 yd mulch job done by the 28th of this month!!!! I'm mowing three days a week too. I have 39 residentials, half of which need mulching, landscaping, etc. I'm trying to hire someone, but, I'm all by myself here. You know what though, I'm smiling myself to the bank every other day.!!!!! payup ....I think I'm going to start counting down the days to Christmas.
  7. jasonnau

I live a little south of you. Our season started a few weeks earlier!!!!
  8. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

Not missin winter at all. :waving:
  9. tjgray

tjgray LawnSite Senior Member

But the days are starting to kinda blur together....wake up at 5:30am try to accomplish the many many things on the list for the day give up around 8pm and put off anything you didn't get done until tommorow....sit in front of the tv with my family while we eat supper. 9pm the children are willingly going to bed we are dragging our butts behind them at 10pm.....5:30am it repeats.....I really look forward to the weekends....not that they aren't filled with work as well because we are even working Sundays but because at least we can sleep in until 8:30am :)
  10. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

If I could plow snow all year long. I rather do that than cut grass. Way more money and a lot less work. payup payup payup

But the smell of fresh cut grass is nice.