Winter Oil For T-300?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Wolfie's L&L, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Wolfie's L&L

Wolfie's L&L LawnSite Member

I am preparing our Bobcat T-300 loader for winter, and I was wondering if I should change to a lighter weight oil. It currently has 15W-40 in it. Is 10W-30 a good option (since it is lighter) or just keep the 15W-40 through the winter?

2. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

We run 15W-40 in all of our equipment year round, including the T-300 we had. I think most guys do this unless they're in an extreme climate.
  3. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

10-30 will do you just fine. Going to change the oil in my P/S truck soon and thats what I will be putting in.
  4. janb

janb LawnSite Senior Member

I use 15w-40 synthetic, as the extra cold start lube and extra hours of service seem to make it a reasonable choice.

I got a 'commercial acct' from an AMSOIL dealer on-line, works out to ~ $3/qt, (warehouse nearby) but at least twice the life of dino oil, and better heat / lubricity / cold flow
  5. farmboy555

farmboy555 LawnSite Member

I run 15w40 Shell Rotella syn. in my trucks & Bobcat. You can get it at Wal-Mart for a good price.
  6. TerraFirma Excavating

TerraFirma Excavating LawnSite Member

I run Delo 400 Synthetic 5-40 in my 773T year around. Our winters get -50°F to -60°F, but I don't usually run it below -30°F because the cold make the metal too brittle.

If you can find a 10-30 that is diesel rated, that should be fine. Oils for diesels have more detergents in them. SL rated oils are for gasoline engines and CG oils are for diesel.