Winter Purchase: mid vs. front mount mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by J. Davis, Nov 14, 2001.

1. J. Davis

J. Davis LawnSite Member

I am expanding my business for next year (from 31 to around 70) and need a rider for all types of lawns (big and small, very nice to ok grasses). This mower will need to be able to mulch, bag, and side discharge. Price range under $10 k. Speed is an issue for side discharge and mulching but not for bagging. Service and dealer location is not an issue. Any help on this issue is appretiated. :D

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like you need to look at the eXmark Lazer HP and the Walker.

Lazer HP has speed. You can get the ultra vac to bag with. You can get the best mulching kit on the market for it. Or, you can side discharge. HP has a smaller footprint, so it works good on small lawns. Yet, the 52" has the same speed as the regular Lazer. Price with Vac and tax around $8500.

Walker, you can get all the different type decks. The Walker is the best grass handling unit out. But, they do have a lot of maintenance. They are not as fast either. Althought the price for everything would be higher than 10K.

Both units should go many many hours. But the eXmark should have less maintenance and downtime over the long term. I would suggest you demo them.

3. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

J you might want to also demo the Toro Z-Masters. I live in southern In, and the dew stays on the grass untill the afternoon, and it is the only mower ive demoed that will cut in very wet grass without clumping,in fact i do my commerical with a rain coat if its raining.The cut is just as good as the exmark,they are the same machine with diff-decks the Toro has the SFS deck, you can also bag,and mulch with this mower. hoss is right about the micro mulch kit for the exmarks its the best out there. But i purchased the Toro due to the damp grass i cut year round,and am very happy with my Z-Master 62" Marks Mowing Service

4. KerryB

KerryB LawnSite Senior Member

I have been looking also. I have used the exmark with the 52" deck. Fast, nice comfortable ride. Cant speak for the Hustler. But hope to try one out soon.
    I can Say that after 5 contiuous hours on the Exmark, still felt good.
    It belongs to my father-n-law. He has the kaw eng. The air filter needed replacing about every 20hrs, the only other problems he has had was it fouled out a plug or two and now it is using oil. First season with it and Kaw or the dealer dosent seem to want to repair it. I quess it will depend on how they handle this eng problem for him and wheather or not I like the Hustler better.

5. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Get a Walker 26 EFI with the 48GHS system then also purchase a 52" or 62" side discharge deck that can be changed in under 2 yes!!! 2 minutes. If you have small to medium lawn and alot of trimming areas these are great. If you run open areas or larger properties that dont need bagging get a mid mount. We run both Walkers and Toro Z-Masters and are happy with both but at over 100 accounts we prefer the Walker mowers!

6. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

Walker, you can get all the different type decks. The Walker is the best grass handling unit out. But, they do have a lot of maintenance.

Specifically... could you help me out with what you mean by lots of maintenance...

7. ECHOTURF

ECHOTURF LawnSite Member
    from usa

I use the JD F735 front mount mower. I can go almost 9 hours on one tank of fuel and has been one of the best machines I have used yet. I mulch, bag and side discharge with this unit and also allows you to lift and lower the deck either to clear curbs or while mowing. I have even used this machine to cut down 3' grass in fields and took out a dried up swamp with it. Turning radius is 10" and handles slopes and hills with ease.
    Been very pleased with it! Get ahold of a demo for $9500 with 80 - 120 hours on it.

Rich D.
    Idealgreen
    Menasha, WI

8. Cajunchef

Cajunchef LawnSite Member

9. J. Davis

J. Davis LawnSite Member

:confused: The new Landscap. mag. shows a GRASSHOPER mower that bragges that it can mulch, bag, and side discharge. What about this machine?

10. I prefer midmount ztr. But you said you needed to have a side discharge and bag also. If bagging is a big concern check out the walkers.If speed is a concern look at the choppers and hustlers.
    Exmark,ferris are also top of the line products .But one thing is for sure.Not one is perfect in every aspect of mowing they all have there good points