1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Winter question??

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by coqui landscaping, Aug 11, 2009.

1. coqui landscaping

coqui landscaping LawnSite Member

Hey guys, this is my first yr in the business and i love it, i dont care what nobody says now i just wanted to ask

What did you guys do during the winter after your FIRST season??

also what do you guys suggest that i do to better my business during the winter months ?? ( i know you guys dont know my situation but i am just trying to get some info on your experiences after your FIRST season during the winter)
  2. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

plow, sand, play...

if you want to do more than mow and you are serious about this as a heart attack you will have little free time if any......

1)write a business plan
    2)study the industry,
    3)study business management,
    4)study tree care
    5)study for pest lic
    6)get your hard scape certs
    7)study for hydraulics lic.
    8)do not spend money
    9)study plant identification and care
    10)study turf grass identification
    11)get more accounts
  3. SangerLawn

SangerLawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

On your first winter you are probably going to have to get a job so you can have some income. More then likely you didn’t have enough accounts to get money saved for winter. When your not working do little things like repack trailer wheel bearings, replace wood floors on trailer, tune ups on all equipment, ect.
  4. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

5. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

Plowed snow, just like every year before my first season, and every year since my first season.
  6. coqui landscaping

thats exactly what i had in mind all good things man
  7. put on weight.

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

snow work on equipment and make a plan to better your busisness for the following year
  9. coqui landscaping

i hear that man
  10. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Take some time away from it after you have winterized your equipment. Thanksgiving to Christmas is a good time for that. If anything, you may want to call up some potential commercial business at this time of year to see when they accept bids. Otherwise, get away from it, don't burn yourself out. After Christmas, do some studying to become more knowledgable about what you are doing. Take a class. Get your Comml Pest Appl lic.
    Start to update your biz plan incl. a 1, 3, and 5 year vision. Do some equipment research, plenty of time for that. Winter is hard, you want so badly to get back out there but you have to wait, wait, wait.

I don't plow snow, nada interest in it. Will work some night hours at our local groc. store this winter but when I get my gross up there, will probably just take winters off and be daddy day care for our kids.