1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Winter Reading

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by rcreech, Dec 25, 2013.

1. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I will be the first to admit that I HATE reading. I have got through school and life without hardly reading a book.

Guys...you know I don't talk about something if I am not sold on it. This is a must read if you want to be the BEST!!!!

I was at a recent event where Marty Grunder recommended a great book called "The Pumpkin Plan". He talked it up so much that I acutally bought it on my dauther's Kindel.

The cool thing is you can pay an extra $4 and it actually reads to you. LOL

I couldn't put the book down. If you love your business and want to go to the next level YOU MUST READ THIS BOOK!!!!!

Just finished it today and I think I am going to read it again.

This is a book that you want to read and you don't want your competitor to.
  2. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

I'm not sure what that winter thing you mentioned is, but I ordered the book 18 bucks amazon
  3. Above Par Lawns

Above Par Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks man I think I'll check it out! I'm the same way when it comes to reading. I think I'll pay the extra $4!
  4. Efficiency

Efficiency LawnSite Bronze Member
    from zone 6

PS, your competitors likely read your posts.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I don't view you as a competitor. I have never ran into anyone that uses your services

I'm not too worried about it!

There is enough work for all of us
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. Efficiency

Efficiency LawnSite Bronze Member
    from zone 6

Not me Rod, I'm not doing anything significant with this business. Lots of guys lurk here and just steal your freely given info. Personally I won't ever public ally give out another morsel of useful advice on these boards. All you have that separates you from Joe schmoe is your knowledge and your giving it up for free, not even getting to enjoy 2nd or 3rd base before putting (it) out.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  7. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I guess I don't hold anything back on this forum. I love to help people as people have helped me.

If u are doing a good job then it doesn't matter.

In no way do I feel threatened by anyone on this board can affect my business.

That's why you need to read this book!!!!
    I am FRIENDS with the owner of a Lawncare Co Dayton and he has well over 10000 accts. we talk shop all the time.
    Sure we take a few customers from each other from time to time.

There at 100,000+ customers out there.
    As I stated there is enough work out there for all of us.

Even if the big boys follow me they can't figure out how to do it right.

Posted via Mobile Device
  8. Skipster

Skipster LawnSite Bronze Member

Knowledge is what separates you from your competitors? In these days of internet access, internet via the phone you carry with you on the job, and a HUGE selection of business books, lectures, seminars, and easily quickly accessible info, it would appear that knowledge is easy, cheap, and very common to those who want to get it.

What separates me from my competitors is service. We all do just about the same services (fertilize, control weeds, etc), but no one else in my market is as attentive to the customer as my guys are, no one else is as professional and courteous as my guys are, and no one else makes the customer as happy as my guys do.

In my view, this is a service business. The customer can get green grass with no weeds from any number of competitors or they could do it themselves. They don't *need* me (or any of us). We know they don't *need* us.

We work hard so they *want* us.
  9. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

U need to read this book. It is awesome and gives tons of great ideas.
    The moral of this book is u don't want every customer. U should only have awesome customers.

It's not about more...it's about better!
    Posted via Mobile Device
  10. greenskeeper44

greenskeeper44 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm a big book guy and just finished three great books

1. Built to sell
    2.simple numbers..straight talk big profits
    3. Traction

Now all I need to do is implement these int our business...but that's the hard part!

Just purchased the pumpkin plan and excited to read it....I have to read new stuff all the time to keep me motivated and my eye on the prize....