1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Winter Rye Grass

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Grant1, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Grant1

Grant1 LawnSite Member

I overseeded approx 11 acres on Dec 23. This was followed by a little rain and freezing temps into the 20's. Now almost 2 weeks later no evidence on germination. Any help would be appreciated.

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Be patient--the cold set it back. Did you plant 100 seeds in a coffee mug in your office--as a check to be sure the seed is good? I am not from Florida. What variety? What soil prep? Broadcast or slit seed? Is the underlying orginial turf Bermuda? If no rain--result will be slow--can you irrigate? Can you dig up a sqft of sod and move it inside to determine what would happen if kept warm and wet?

3. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

A "little rain"... ? Has it rained, or been irrigated over the past 2 weeks?

4. Premier landscaping south

Premier landscaping south LawnSite Senior Member

I know it's a longshot but what about pre-emergent being present before seeding?

5. zturncutter

zturncutter LawnSite Bronze Member

The 10lbs I put out around a paver patio job around thanksgiving took almost 3 weeks to germinate, the unusual cold and little precip., until today, has slowed germination down most likely. Sometimes though you can be buying old seed.

6. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

thats my vote, moisture during germination process is as important as sunlight and proper temperature

7. Grant1

Grant1 LawnSite Member

Thanks guys We had some rain and hope to get more. Maybe that will do it.