1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

winter rye grass

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by bradsmowing, Nov 6, 2011.

1. bradsmowing

bradsmowing LawnSite Member

Does anyone put rye grass seed down for there customers in the winter I have been doing it for 4 years make the lawns look great all winter long.
  2. I did it on a couple of St. Aug lawns last winter that have patchy CG areas.

A lot of guys(mainly on the high-end homes) put it down on Zoysia and Bermuda lawns.
  3. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

Easy service that you can make quick money at for sure. I have done it in the past and most likely do some this year again for patchy lawns.

Just make sure you do not go too heavy as you main turf will be fighting for the same resources after it comes out of dormancy.
  4. zturncutter

zturncutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Also make sure you are getting paid for the extra cuts it will require during the winter.
  5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

And...be sure to offer (as an extra cost option), to kill the rye with a chemical in spring, so as to allow the bermuda and SA to recover easily, and without damage. I am 15 hours drive from you so I don't know the chemicals needed.
  6. zturncutter

Really no need to do that, it dies very quickly as the temps rise in March and April.
  7. bradsmowing

bradsmowing LawnSite Member

ya it dies off by itself i think it make the lawn for the winter time ill post some picture as soon as my lawn starts coming in
  8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Is that both Perennial and Annual Rye that dies in March???

Fl-landscape has both a slit seeder and a Hydro-seeder. In winter he has also planted Fescue in the winter. He should be back today from his frozen hunting trip in Maine. Maybe he will weight in.

9. zturncutter

10. StihlMechanic

StihlMechanic LawnSite Bronze Member

I plant gulf annual rye on bermuda and zoysia lawns, never SA.