Winter rye growing way too fast!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by henri4207, Mar 14, 2007.

1. henri4207

henri4207 LawnSite Member

Is anybody else having problems with their winter rye growing so fast in dfw, texas?? It is a beating trying to cut these lawns and making a mess!! I cut my own lawn twice a week, which makes it easy, but any suggestions ?? I used double eagle rye from lesco like I have the last 10 years, but for some reason it is really long this year the past few weeks. Is there something I can put on it to slow it down??

2. MuleCutter

MuleCutter LawnSite Member

i did a property today with rye grass. it was just after a light rain and it was horrible. i absolutely hate rye grass. being wet from rain and already naturally having so much moisture in it made my 31 hp 66 inch lazer (with mulch kit) crap all over itself. the clover and the rest of the nasty winter grass was no problem but the rye was a hctib (spell this word backwards). not sure what you can do to slow it down. if you find out let me know or i'll just "heat up" the yard a little. LOL J/K!!!

3. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Unfortunately, this is the time for ryegrass to thrive and show its true colors. You probably had good rainfall recently along with a fairly warm winter. Did you fertilize? If you did, you might as well sleep on the mower.:laugh:

4. henri4207

henri4207 LawnSite Member

Would pre-emergent slow it down or kill it??

5. lawnspecialties

Neither.:confused:

6. lawnspecialties

The next time it gets fairly dry, cut it shorter than usual. Then just try to stay ahead.:)

7. MuleCutter

MuleCutter LawnSite Member

i brought it down from about 6 inches to 2 inches... LOL that's why it was rough and it was a tennant that planted that crap. i sure cant wait till the St augustine comes back.....

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I am surprised it is growing that much we have many many properties with winter rye and we put on fertilize monthly. We have the greenest that we have ever had. Are you use you aren't seeing some annual rye, it grows real fast. Lesco has a chemical that you can knock it out but usually you don't want to do that until late April. We mulch ours with plate over outlets.

9. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Want to talk about growth. My dad came by and fertilized my yard which i planted winter rye in this year. Anyway 2 days later we had somewhere around an inch of rain fall lasting all day long nice showers that was 3 days ago yesterday i mowed it pretty short well hell i got out and work a little today come home and dam i had to mow it again same heigh i bet i took off 3/4 on an inch. Givin this is my first year with winter rye i didnt expect that. It looks awsome though. I do have a question and since everyone on here has rye experience and it has been baffling me. I am and have been in fall and winter of this year getting small spots about o golf ball size of dead grass. I did seed it pretty heavy. Are these dead spots from the grass choaking its self out? Also i used annual rye i got from a local seed company what should i do to get ready for the bermuda? Do i just keep cutting it short and wait for the bermuda to come out? I know the rye will die when it gets hotter? Sorry these might be beginner questions but no one around here does rye i mean no one and i though i would try it on my own yard and then offer it to customers next year i have been very happy with the results.

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Annual should not be planted in lawns.....it grows very very fast and will lay over on itself and choke/kill itself or get fungus. Keep cutting it short and the bermuda will take over when the hot temperatures kill the rye. Or you can go to Lesco and get a spray to kill it early.