1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Winter Salt ??

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by legendrider, Nov 23, 2003.

1. legendrider

legendrider LawnSite Member

is it possible to make money just spreading salt with the unit attached to a pick up? I would plow but i dont think my truck would last the season with the abuse. I assume salting is has less wear and tear on a vehicle. Thanks.

2. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

Some customer will desire salt before an expected storm. however many will require snowplowing also. Most of the customers who purchase salt or other liquid de-icer products are consumer who need the lot clean. See plowsite.com for more info.

3. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes there acctually is, I know a guy around here that has a single axle truck with a huge spreader in the back and he is subcontracted out to just salt the lots for the plowers. Then the plowers don't have to have a spreader themselves and he just goes around when called and salts all theres lots for them.

4. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi legendrider,

Great idea! Maybe you could contact some snowplow outfits in your area and see if you could be a sub contractor for them. Maybe you could also do snowblowing?

5. legendrider

legendrider LawnSite Member

Left a message with dubrows i know they sub out for snow. hopefully they will call tommorow, otherwize ill call them. thanks for the tips E

6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

thats a good idea NNJ, I never would think of subcontracting out only salt.

7. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

One Problem with salt, it really only work to temp higher than 20 F
    lower than 20 then deicer way to go, but those ops are expensive.

8. hortboy

hortboy LawnSite Member

If your mowing professionally, use a turf friendly ice melt. rock salt will damage turf as well as pit concrete and track into costumers houses. Explain the benefits of ice melt and why it costs alittle more , everybody will be happy in the end and you won't be seeding edges in the spring

9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

We always use a sodium or calcium based choloride which works great. I have never had a problem with our salt not working under 20F.