"Winter seeding".........

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Joel B., Sep 26, 2004.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

Anyone ever heard of this? Supposedly you dethatch real good and then right before the first snowfall you broadcast grass seed over existing grass. As the snow melts in the spring the seed is worked down into the dirt and grows. I always thought you had to get the seed into the dirt (slit seeder) or spread some topsoil over the lawn for the seed to get into.

Also, if you have all this new seed trying to grow in the spring do you skip the crabgrass preventer then?

Thanks for any thoughts,

Joel B.

2. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

the freeze thae process will work the seed into the ground. I usually wait till mid winter just to make sure we do not have a warm spell in early winter. I do not do this a lot but have had ok results when i have done this. Then I always wait as late as I can before any pre-emergence is applied. That may mean late then you are used to waiting.

3. Joel B.

from MN

Does anyone else use this method? Should I put down starter fertilizer when I put down the seed or wait until spring when the snow is gone?

Thank you,

Joel B.

4. rmartin

rmartin LawnSite Member
    from mass

when you do that type of seeding you could end up wasting more time and money than it is worth. Seed that is exposed to really wet conditions like the melting of snow will rot. Seed needs water but too much of it will rot out the seed making it useless. Fall seeding is the best time to seed.........

5. Davis Lawn Mowing LLC.

Davis Lawn Mowing LLC. LawnSite Member

I have seen lots of places hydroseed in late, late fall and just let the seed sit through the winter and it grows just fine in the spring. We have just re-seeded our entire front lawn and may toss down seed in late November but mainly we will wait until late March since we wont be cutting grass until mid-late April here.

6. Joel B.

from MN

If you seed in the fall, don't you risk having all the new, fragile shoots damaged by the snow? Also, how do you pickup leaves on a lawn with new grass growing all over it? I don't want to be driving mowers and such over the new grass. If you don't get the leaves up before the snow, you risk getting mold....................I'm so confused.

Thanks again,

Joel B.