Winter Services

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by tiedeman, Dec 30, 2005.

?

Lawn/Landscaping Company Winter Services

1. Yes, we provide snow removal

60 vote(s)
    70.6%
  2. No, we do not provide snow removal

20 vote(s)
    23.5%
  3. We are thinking about providing it

3 vote(s)
    3.5%
  4. We used to provide it, but no longer

2 vote(s)
    2.4%
  1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

How many of you, that have the opportunity to provide snow removal services with your already lawn and landscaping services, actually do provide those services?

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

We're running 4 plow trucks this winter...and have a subcontractor as #5 just in case.

3. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

We have done snow removal for years. Some years good some not so good. We only use two trucks but have a skid loader with plow on. Also have two tractors with plows on and we do most of the work with the skid loader and tractor as they are so much faster. 20by40 drive way 3 min with them. When you have 40 drives with out loading for $15.00@ you are do very well. Only need some snow.

4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Here we might get 3 or maybe 4 snowings a year. When it does snow, it's usually no more than 3" at a time....so no, we don't offer snow removal. I might consider it if I am targeting a commercial property for mowing services and they require snow removal and even then I would look into subing it out.

5. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

I used to do snow removal when we lived in town. I did this on the side from my full time job and made good pocket money. Living out in the sticks now and about 17 miles from my lawn customers just doesn't appeal to me. I had a dedicated truck for blading when living in town and the few times I had to drive it down the highway with the blade on I always thought of as a pain in the posterior, guess thats why it doesn't appeal to me now.

6. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I voted that Yes I provide it, but Like matt, since we were not too far from each other, it's not very lucrative. I know guys that have plows and never even get to use them some winters. I simply have a smowblower and a blade for my Dixon. If it's less than 4" then the blade will work, more than use the blower. I only do driveways and sidewalks for my customers that need it done.
    We do get more than 3" at times... just so far this year that's all we've had. What sucks here is that it's usually not just nice fluffy snow. It usually starts with freezing rain or sleet to make everything slick first, or the snow will be so wet it can't be moved or it will freeze like a rock and unless you have BIG equipment you can't touch it.

We haven't had a very snowy winter in a looong time here. I have pics from back in the early to mid 80's when we had feet of snow and drifts over our 6' pivacy fence. Nobody wen't anywhere for a while! I know we are due for that again... I just don't want to see it.

7. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Yes,we offer plowing in the winter.We have 3 trucks out on the road each time it snows.This year I probably could have done 4 but only owned 3 trucks in the fall.Some time in 2006 I will need to add another one.

8. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I started plowing recently. Only running one truck now, but will deninatly have two next year.

9. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Were I live you almost have to provide both winter and summer services.

10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

...which probably makes you the wealthiest member here on LS with all the snow you guys get:laugh: