Winter Stone work

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by MarcusLndscp, Jan 18, 2006.

1. MarcusLndscp

MarcusLndscp LawnSite Senior Member

Thought I'd share some work we've been doing since the end of this fall even though we've had freezing temps, rain, ice, snow, etc. A major part of being able to continue stone work is to be able to get your bases in prior to frost.

For some work you will see here we were able to pour concrete footings early this fall and simply tarp them. These locations we can open up and start at any point in time regardless of weather. Once we start them the areas are simply tented in and heated until completion.

Some walkways set on gravel and stonedust we're able to get away with simply using frost blankets every night.

These pics show a patio, perched beach area w/ walls, steps, and light boulder work we completed at the end of the fall. All this work was completed with the assistance of frost blankets at night. In the spring we will add to the boulder work, do plantings, irrigation, lighting and finish the site work/lawn. Some of the large rock you see in the wall pics was actually ledge we had to work around. The layout is not exactly what was planned for so because of it so we had to make adjustments to the design that I feel hindered the aesthetics of the finished product

McFAnd 005.jpg

McFAnd 006.jpg

McFAnd 007.jpg

McFAnd 009.jpg

2. MarcusLndscp

Here are some essentials for true winter work

pic 1 a torch to keep rocks free from snow and ice

pic 2 a heater for inside tents

pics 3 tent systems of some sort - these cost $400 and take 2 guys 2-3 hours to build - once built they can be moved easily by hand and also can be split in two pieces to be transported on a truck/trailer if need be

pic 4 propane tanks that can easily be moved around site - note - always sets tanks on a pallet or something they won't freeze to

winterwork 004.jpg

winterwork 002.jpg

winterwork 024.jpg

winterwork 006.jpg

3. MarcusLndscp

Pic 1 - A mortar mixing tent is a must for wet work. This was simply built out of staging, 2"x6" 's, some plywood, and re-enforced poly.

Pic 2 - a drum to hold water sits inside

Pic 3 - Your mixer, tub, and bags of mortar stay warm and dry...as do you

winterwork 016.jpg

winterwork 017.jpg

winterwork 018.jpg

4. MarcusLndscp

You should always try to keep your site and material you build with free of frost, ice, frozen dirt, excess amounts of water etc. Buy lots of STRONG tarps! Here are some rock piles and kind of a ledge/mountainside creation we're working on.

winterwork 023.jpg

winterwork 025.jpg

5. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

Those pics are making me cringe. Working in these conditions is a major league rip roaring pain in the azz.

don't you sometimes wonder Mark, if it's just as easy to wait until spring? Everything takes soooo much longer.

All that said, I'm starting a 55'x4' wall tomorrow with a small walk. Of course, after the downpours today, most of the snow will be gone, and we have warm temps through the weekend. It's a pro bono job for my in-laws too :rolleyes:

6. MarcusLndscp

These pics show breezeways and entry areas that were made out of irregular bluestone and mortared in place over large concrete slabs we prepped for and poured. These areas were tented in and heated a few days prior to the start of them (to allow the concrete pad to warm up) until a few days after (to allow all mortar to set before it was untented to prevent freezing and moisture damage).

These were tented in using staging, reinforced poly, 2"x6" 's, and pieces of old carpet and insulation to prevent damage to the house where the tents met it

winterwork 005.jpg

winterwork 007.jpg

winterwork 013.jpg

winterwork 014.jpg

winterwork 020.jpg

7. MarcusLndscp

Hey buddy let me finish!!!!!:)

I'll explain the efforts in doing all this at the end

8. MarcusLndscp

We did the driveway this fall with the assistance of blankets, tents, and alot of guys. Belgard. I believe it was in the range of 200-250 yards of fill that had to be excavated just for this area...all good gravel!

winterwork 008.jpg

winterwork 015.jpg

9. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

Well for crying out loud, how frikkin long are ya gonna be?!?! :D

10. MarcusLndscp

First two pics of a double tented area where we're building a dry laid wall. Gotta set up your power supply for the tunes too!

Third pic a sample pillar being built on a concrete footing to be approved by homeowner

winterwork 001.jpg

winterwork 003.jpg

winterwork 011.jpg