Winter storage for spray tanks

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by jtrice11, Oct 25, 2005.

1. jtrice11

jtrice11 LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys, its my first year doing fert, I've got a 300 gallon spray tank and I am going to be storing it in a facility that has no heat. How can I "winterize" it so I don't break anything from freezing water?

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Jtrice

Use RV antifreeze, it is safe for drinking water. Be sure to circulate it in your pump and hose.

3. jtrice11

jtrice11 LawnSite Senior Member

Got it. Sounds simple enough, thanks.

Jeff

4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Jeff

Don't forget to drain the gasoline out of the carb and tank.

5. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

good call on the gas, Ric, I would like to add that you can blow out the system with compressed air as well, just like sprinklers, and not have the need for disposing of antifreeze in the spring. Once blown out, just take off the heads for the pump so that it doesn't hold any standing water and that should take care of all your plumbing and hoses along with your pump, ready to be refilled and put into action next spring.

6. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

...or pull the pump off. good time to replace the diaphrams

7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

yo

Of course here in South Florida we have a lot of Experience in winterizing spray rigs :D

8. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

the RV antifreeze was a good recommendation...even though your winters are...what...70-75 degrees??

we did antifreeze for some time. now we just pull all pumps off and bring them in for the winter and rebuild them

OR...maybe Ric will allow all us yankees to form a convoy with our spray rigs and head down to his place for the winter???

9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Lawn service

This latest cold front has me wear my Long johns so don't make fun of Florida Weather. We will have night times Lows, tonight in the Low 50's and today we just reached 70. We will be having this cold weather for the next few days. I have turned up the heat in my house and only hope this cold front won't stay around too long.

10. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

:D Ric, thats funny. I'm origionally from La. and winters down south are a joke compared to the ones I suffer through Here in Maine.
    The rv antifreeze will work if it doesn't get redicoulously cold like it does here. If its also inside a structure it will help keep freezing winds from dropping the temps even more. I keep mine in a heated garage with all my other equiptment that can't freeze. Last winter we had a two week period where it stayed with wind chill in the -15 to -30 degree range. Just thinking about it is maki:blush: ng me cold.