Winter Storage of equipment

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by alphaboy1, Oct 9, 2007.

1. alphaboy1

alphaboy1 LawnSite Member
    from CT

A common question most likely with different answers...
    I have 4 cycle 48" Bobcat Hydro along with Simplicity Snow King, Walk behind Leaf Vacs. Also I have several 2 cycle pieces of equipment (Back Packs and String Trimmers). All year round I use fuel Stabil in Fuel in all 4 cycle equipment.

Question: What are the suggestions for the 4 month winter season of non-use. I do drain all 2 cycle so question is for 4 cycle equipment. Also is is it OK to change the oil at start of mowing season?

a: Leave fuel in Gas tank with Stabil and turn fuel shut off "off". Also run the
    engine till out of fuel?
    b: Empty Fuel in tank and engine by running till dry? Totally dry for 4 months (May dry out Gas Line?)
    c: Leave Fuel with Stabil in Gas tank and do not run the engine dry?

One owners manual suggests c: Not sure why?

2. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

If you have gasohol, things get a bit more complicated. You'll have phase separation to consider. Under the right conditions, the ethanol can collect water and settle out of the fuel the scary part for 2 strokes..... the oil does not go with it:eek:

Use StaBil, fill 'er up, change the oil, and let it sit.

Let the stabilizer do it's job.
    4 months is not that big of a deal, even w/o stabilizer.
  3. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

I can't say that I've experimented with different ways, but what I do is turn on all my equipment and run it dry. Then I immediately change the oil while it's good and hot - so as to remove as much sediment/crap as there may or may not be (I can see dirty oil leaving the equivalent of a bathtub ring if left sedimentary that long).

I've don't this for 5 years straight and never had anything but perfect results. Carbs stay clean (by the way, make sure you use the primer bulbs after it runs dry to insure none is left in the carbs), and in spite of frigidly cold winters, never had a brittle line or anything of the sort.

Just my 2 cents.
  4. petekief

petekief LawnSite Senior Member

i use stable and two stroke mix in all my small stuff all year - for winter i dump all the gas out of the equipment into a can and double dose the stable (like it says on the container) then partially refill all the stuff and run it for a few minutes to make sure the double dose is in the carb - i also start everything and run it for several minutes once a month or so over the winter - no problems yet?!?!?