winter storage

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gandk06, Sep 25, 2006.

1. gandk06

gandk06 LawnSite Senior Member

I am located in Wisconsin where the winters can be nasty. I currently keep the trailer with everything on it in my garage. When the season is over I would like to get it out of the garage so I can put my vehicles back inside. I hate scraping windows when it is 0 degrees outside. I have checked into local storage places and they want crazy rates and charge for a minimun of 6 months. These are places that store boats so they can charge that. I was wondering what people thought of storing the trailer with all the equipment outside. I would tarp it very well to keep the snow and water off the equipment, but would the real cold weather do any harm to it? After thinking about, these storage places are not heated and get very cold as well.

Just wondering what other people do in cold weather locations or what you think.
    I'm the little guy that doesn't have the nice big shop.:dizzy:

2. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

As long as you put at least 1 tarp over it, you should be ok. I would suggest running a cable or chain and locking all the equipment to the trailer and then locking the trailer to something secure (like a big tree), as well as locking the hookup closed. JMO

3. gandk06

I would lock everything to the trailer and theft is not a problem in the area I would keep it. Someone would realy have to be snopping around the property to know that it is even there.
    Thanks

4. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

all the equipment outside. I would tarp it very well to keep the snow and water off the equipment, but would the real cold weather do any harm to it? After thinking about, these storage places are not heated and get very cold as well.

Just wondering what other people do in cold weather locations or what you think.
    I'm the little guy that doesn't have the nice big shop.:dizzy:[/QUOTE]

I'm not an LCO, but with a log splitter and various lawn equipment, I have a similar storage problem and bought one of these.

http://ww2.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=42211

Not the best solution I know, but better than tarps, I think. They call these "portable garages", but there's not much about them that is portable. Other companies besides Harbor Freight sell the exact item, but the HF price was the lowest I had seen. I haven't set mine up yet or even opened the boxes, but I expect to be doing it before the snow falls. The front panel is supposed to have a zipper so you can close the shelter after everything is inside.

I had thought of building one of these sheds

http://www.backyard3.com/

and, in fact, I even bought the plans, but afterwards I decided that I didn't want to get involved with building permit, inspections, and having my property taxes go up, so I dropped the idea. But you may want to go that route.

Good luck!

5. gandk06

My father in law had one of the portable garages that he used for his boat in the winter. It lasted one year. The wind gets inside and blows it and the shelter rips and tilts all of the supports on the inside. If you can keep it out of the wind it may work for you. I would still tarp what is under it to keep any snow and rain out that blows in. His boat still had tons of water in it even with the shelter over it.

Good luck

6. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

We just bought a 8.5x16 enclosed trailer so most of our equipment fits inside but I found a few places (barns) that do winter storage. The most expensive one was $250.00 for the season. Look for that type of storage. Probably not going to be heated but I would rather get my equipment out of the direct weather and still be cold rather than directly out side covered up or not.