Winter Storage

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by KTNC, Oct 19, 2004.

1. KTNC

KTNC LawnSite Member

I've heard so many different opinions this subject, and now I am asking Exmark for their opinion... Currently, as a homeowner, I change the oil in my Lazer (Kohler 25) in the spring and this year ran Mobil 1. Every season I only put about 50 hrs on this machine. In the past I've always drained the oil before putting the machine away for winter and re-filled with new oil (so the motor isn't sitting all winter in old oil) Then once again in the spring I drain that oil which is still new and start w/fresh oil. Since, I'm now running Mobil 1, I'm wondering:
    A) should I put new Mobil 1 in the winter and then drain
    B) Put dino oil in for the winter then Mobil 1 in the spring.
    C) Do neither, leave the old oil in, put new in the spring.
    D) Change it now in the fall with Mobil 1, then leave it alone in the spring.

As you can see I'm really careful about maintenance, but I believe being this particular will prolong the life of the motor.

Thanks...

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

KTNC,

The most important thing is to not leave the used oil in the crankcase over the winter. Used oil contains hydrocarbons which contain acid........same thing in acid rain. The oil you put in the engine over the winter should be in great shape so the only concern is water from condensation. What you put in the engine over the winter is really your choice.............I wish everyone took that good of care with winter storage. Keep up the good work.

Terry