1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

winter strategies

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by ercrvs24, Jun 30, 2005.

1. ercrvs24

ercrvs24 LawnSite Member

I am in my first year on my own fulltime. we decided (My wife and I) that it would be good for me to just do this, that way all I had to worry about was my lawn care bus. Well I'm definatley not to the point that I want to be in bus. and we just found out that my wife is pregnant with our first child. Now I don't know what to do, especially in the winter for income. She's a real estate agent (first year) so her income isn't exactly steady either. I know I have to do what ever it takes to support my family, but what do you guys do besides plow, that is a good money maker in the winter? I would like to perhaps sell some christmas trees too, anybody have any info?
  2. Jcs Lawn and Landscape

Jcs Lawn and Landscape LawnSite Member

split wood and sell it by the cord
  3. ercrvs24

ercrvs24 LawnSite Member

I don't really clear out enough trees that are big enough to use for firewood, how would I get the wood. Plus, man, I've nver dealt with firewood or had a woodburning fireplace, so I don't know how much a cord is. I appreciate the info though. Any additional info?
  4. spcfoor

spcfoor LawnSite Senior Member

Hang christmas lights.
  5. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

6. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

drug dealing??

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

There's always a demand for delivery jobs, especially if you're willing to use your own vehicle. You do that anyway with your own business, so no big deal. Restaurants, flower shops, medical labs, etc.
  8. ercrvs24

ercrvs24 LawnSite Member

That may be a possability, thanx. I'm trying to stay "self employed" even through the winter.

As for the others Gambling- I'm not lucky enough.

Drug dealing- wouldn't make a good job for a father/ role model, however there's probably great money in it, but I don't Know how good the health insurance is :)
  9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Being in this business is a big enough gamble already IMO.
  10. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

winter tree pruning(certainly makes contour pruning decidious trees easier..if you don't know how to do that, go to the library, take a few classes, you've got a few months to learn) Haul off junk after christmas, old trees and such. Hang lights, like suggested earlier, plow snow, sell orders for next year..those are all fairly related to your lawn biz.