Winter Tree Trimming

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LouisianaZJ, Dec 13, 2003.

1. LouisianaZJ

LouisianaZJ LawnSite Member

Just want to make shure it is safe to trim trees in the winter/fall down South.
    The trees are Cypress, Oak and River Birch if that makes a difference.

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I don't know about down south, but I do know up here the best time to prune is the end of winter. You want to prune when dormant because; with decidous you can see the limbs better, the chance of transfering disease is less, allows for a better recovering rate from bleeding, and promotes better spring/summer growth.

3. polecat63

polecat63 LawnSite Silver Member

DO the trees go dormant that far south? You can moderately trim trees about anytime of the year. During the fall and and start of winter it should be done for safety/emergency reasins. Like if t a branch will fall through a house, or on a person. As a tree comes out of dormancy is the best time for MOST trees. Some evergreens can be puned whenever. There are tons of Arborist sites on the web that will let you know when to prune a specific tree. But if your trees don't do dormant, then don't worry. Oh, and don't over prune, especially the lowere branches unless you want a PO'd cutomer and a dead tree.

4. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Go man go.

5. LouisianaZJ

Well, the leaves are just starting to fall now. The lowest it gets down here is ~30* and that is only for a few days. Practically as soon as all the leaves have fallen off, the trees start to grow again.
    I think I'll go for it anyway and save the larger limbs for spring. Thanks for the tips.

6. Kingbman1

Kingbman1 LawnSite Member

Here in missouri its the best time to trim for the trees because the disease potential is low.

7. LouisianaZJ

Well, just trimmed everything up today. One of the limbs taken off of the oak was about 12" diameter right off the trunk. Should I seal this with some pruning sealer, or leave it bare to heal up?
    I heard pruning sealer is bad, and I usually don't use it, but what about the big stuff?

8. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

No need for pruning sealer.