1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

winter wah wah wah

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tower Rat 95B, Dec 10, 2007.

1. Tower Rat 95B

Tower Rat 95B LawnSite Member

Winter Blah Blah Blah its here, after staying busy all season and making some money the down time just plain stinks, yea we will make some money when the snow flies but still winter is a bummer kinda wrecks the good progress made during the summer, Right now this lawn biz don;t seem worth it , how about you?
  2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Its worth it in Florida, unfortunately I am in Wisconsin.:laugh:
    Its the winter blues. After a few years of doing this lawn stuff I actually appreciate the slow down of winter. Some days I actually enjoy not being busy. Just remember this thread in early April. You won't have time to think then. Take a cruise, enjoy the holidays.

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

We are super busy with painting jobs, clean outs , paver jobs etc........
  4. Tower Rat 95B

You give perspective heck if you can survive winter up in Wisconsin (Ccccold) I should able to handle it down here,,,,,,,,,

Pavers Pavers , how long into winter can do pavers?
  5. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with mow ed , iam getting to the age now where i love slow pace of winter enjoying holidays taking vacations and just plain being lazy if i dont want to work in the shop

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

We do pavers all winter on some job we install 20' x 20' tents over the job depending what it is and we use kero heaters. Just place a tent up Saturday for a $16,000.00 patio/ outdoor kitchen we are starting in Jan 2008. What part of jersey u from ?
  7. Tower Rat 95B

Richie thats cool to do a big job like that in January, I am small time but one job like that in winter would carry me right thru till spring,,,,,,,,, may be thats the answer, Pavers.............
  8. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I actually like the winters as it lets me get re-aqainted with the wife and my 4 children. Also, gives me time to assess the past season and get things in order for my plan of attack for the next season. As I get older, slowing down a little seems more appealing.:drinkup:
  9. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I look forward to the winter as well. Gives me time to catch up on things in my personal life, do work around my house that gets put off all year, sleep a little later than normal. I also use the time to plan my year to come. It really is part of the reason I started a business like this, to get the two months off. I can't imagine doing a job where you only get a week or two off a year.
  10. DSIM

DSIM LawnSite Senior Member

ditto :usflag:

I start getting worried every fall but seems like I'm always taken care of. The work from leaves and tree trimming and a couple of Christmas light jobs help me pay the bills.

Unfortunately, I am recently divorced after 10 years of marriage (wife's decision-no longer in love)and no longer have a second income to rely on during the winter.She didnt fight me for half of the house or furniture but left me with all the bills. I had just bought a new motorcycle and for sure wouldnt have done that had I'd known this was fixing to happen.:cry:

I thought I might have to start delivering pizza's but a HUGE blessing came my way.

I recently have leased my mineral rights to a gas/oil company and received a 4k signing bonus!!!!!:cool2: Thank God!!

Psa 84:11 no good thing will he with hold from them that walk uprightly