WINTER!!! What do you do?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by MarcusLndscp, Sep 14, 2004.

1. MarcusLndscp

MarcusLndscp LawnSite Senior Member

Hey everyone!
    Was thinking today about the upcoming plowing season in Vermont and was wondering what else everyone does for winter work other than snow removal. Since I've been in Vt I've seen snow as early as the beginning days of October and as late as the end of April. That's a long time to be doing snow removal. You guys now how it goes the first few months are fun and a nice break from the long landscape season but after that well it pretty much sucks. But you do what you have to when you live in the northeast. We try to save tree and stone work for slow winters but even those jobs can be hard to dedicate employees to when your first priority is snow. Sometimes you have 2 or 3 weeks of straight snow and some weeks you go 2 or 3 weeks without snow. Of course we have our long list of repairs and maintenance on equipment but there is only so much of that to do. So what does everyone else do in their spare time during winter months to make money?
  2. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

drink beer, lift weights, drink beer, lift weights, drink beer.........
  3. NC Scaper

NC Scaper LawnSite Member

Work on my race cars
  4. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

Good luck. This is not a question you'll get an educated helpful answer to on here. I wonder the same thing. This question seems to pop up about once a week and Im still yet to get any ideas.

You ll just be getting all the guys telling you how unsucessful in business you are that you didnt make enough money during the growing season
  5. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

Plow snow, and pray for lots of snow.If we dont get any i look for a part time job real fast.
  6. MarcusLndscp

MarcusLndscp LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah I see what you mean about the educated answers Procut. It's not at all that we don't make money in the landscape season it's just that we have something like 25 26 27 full time year round employees who all want year round positions and everyone knows that if you don't keep on billable work you'll lose your a%$....there's no need to be paying people just to show up at work everyday. Why stop working and making money after only half a year and take off somewhere and blow your profits, I'd rather keep working and make more money. That only seems logical.
    Anyways some things we do in these months are of course plow snow, sand/salt, do loader work - push backs, shovel walks-decks-patios etc, firewood, caretaking/housechecks, tree work, some stone work, christmas trees sales and holiday decorations, shuttle bus driving for the ski resort......................well I know there are some things I'm forgetting but that is all I can think of right now. Will write more if I think of anything else