Winter Work...anyone do firewood?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Let it Grow, Sep 30, 2003.

1. Let it Grow

Let it Grow LawnSite Senior Member

I'm going to be in need of winter work to hold me over and keep some cash coming in for a few months this winter. It hardly even snows a couple inches here in SE Washington in the winter so snow plowing is out, I'm thinking maybe firewood...I've heard there's not that much money in it, but some is better than none. Can anyone give me any ideas or tips?
    How about you other Northewesterners, what do you do in the winter. (This was my first year in business, so I'm working on finishing paying off my startup loans...next year I'll be vacationing in the winter!!!)

2. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

I would if I did a lot of tree removal during the year. Log splitters can get costly, and talk about a lot of work for a little $. Plus, you need a lot of room to store all that wood. I know one guy that does it, but he also has a huge barn that he stocks approx. 200 to 300 chords in. He makes good money, but that's more storage space than I have.

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

nope, just do the snow removal...like said above, too much time, work, and storage

4. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry I can't help you, but I will be thinking about you while I'm skiing:)

B

5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Firewood is a lot of work for little return,But if you need the cash it is an option.We did it for a while to buy and pay off a log splitter, but now we will no longer do it for others only for ourselves.(My brother,sister,and myself all heat with wood)

6. NCSERVICE

NCSERVICE LawnSite Member

Let it grow, fire wood is a huge pain in the ---, alot of people around here make a killing by putting out salt for parking lot ice.

7. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

I do firewood, but I have my own acreage that I cut it from. I mostly do it for enjoyment, though (try to keep the winter fat from building up too quickly:) )

8. pcnservices

pcnservices LawnSite Senior Member

I worked for a construction co. / home builder during winter months. When it snows I'll go and service my clients and come back to my job. Their job is also kinda slow on snow days. I've learned such a lot and gained expierence and confidence that I am doing home improvement and remodelling work part time now and hoping to get it to a point where I can do this as a full time business and do mowing part time (better $$$$ in construction, it's not so seasonal, but just cannot quit mowing at all). I do basement finishing, kitchens, bathrooms, decks, fences, etc. Currently I'm working on a bid for a 1100 sqft + addition. If I get this I'll be set for the winter.
    Good Luck
    PC

9. 4734

4734 LawnSite Member
    from Houston

I use to do firewood, even included deliveries to residences and apartments. I had a connection with a commercial company that I was able to buy 18" split logs from. All I had to do was back the truck and or trailer under the conveyor belt, watch the wood flow into the truck or trailer and drive to the delivery site.

Thats where I had to do the work. Hauling 1/4 cord or more up to and through a upstairs apt and stack it on the balcony is not fun and very time consuming.

People around here (Texas) usually only burn firewood for ambiance anyway.

Hauling wood is very hard on equipment and people so charge accordingly.

10. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

ok you need a strong back and a big trailer.
    That said have fun.

Presell your firewood. Here it is going for 150 a cord. When and if I do go and get wood, I presell a cord at a time that way I go out cut and drop off in drive way. Then get paid. If I have to stack it is 50 an hour. I take my time stacking cause I hate it. My dad and I go and get a min of 4-5 cords in around 2 hours plus drive time so about 3-4 hours round trip including drop off. then pay gas for truck and saws and other maintenance and then split 50/50 of what is left. Usually after all said and done We pocket 250 each or so pending price of gas.