Winter work

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by clcare2, Jun 4, 2007.

1. clcare2

clcare2 LawnSite Member
    from indiana

Most years I am able to keep myself busy and above water for the winter with little things that I can put of until off season. But this year I have my first salaried employee and I would like to keep him off of unemployement.

Are there any good off-season ideas out there.

Right now we are looking at cleaning foreclosed houses for a mortgage company.

I realize that it is a little early to be thinking winter, but we want to be prepared.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
  2. Herrick

Herrick LawnSite Senior Member

I do some firewood in the winter, not super profitable, but it does bring in some extra dough.
  3. clcare2

clcare2 LawnSite Member
    from indiana

I am trying to think outside of the box.

I already do some snow removal, firewood, and lights, but would like to find something a little more regular and profitable.
  4. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

I drive oil trucks.
  5. Bigray

Bigray LawnSite Member

learn to trade stocks, futures...
  6. Bill S

Bill S LawnSite Member

dormant pruning, tree pruning, tree removal

Keep in mind though, your salaried employee is a landscaper. Getting into another trade may not be beneficial as efficiencies may drop off the board. Save money now and set up some of your plowing accounts to pay a monthly stipend in order to cover costs. This will allow you to survive your winter and any extra work you pick up will be bonus money.
  7. gary6768

gary6768 LawnSite Member

During the winter months I'm a cart boy at Pathmark. Walmart is always looking for greeters. I also am a professional Santa that keeps me very busy in December.
  8. mc24034

mc24034 LawnSite Member

Im in a direct selling business that makes me lots of money. So my winters I dont do much of anything..... kinda nice but bored out of my mind by February.
  9. clcare2

clcare2 LawnSite Member
    from indiana

The employee is a close friend who has worked for me for a long time on other projects. We usually try to find a project or two a year that are outside of our experience just for the variety. So I am not really worried about productivity.

I can't always count on snow. Last year we had nothing and this year there was nothing until the end. Most of my snow accounts would not pay a monthly stipend on account of it doesn't snow that much here.