Winter work???

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by stevenf, Sep 30, 2007.

1. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

I know its been said more then once but I have a quick question. I want to have a few side jobs during the winter. It will allow me to get my name out rather then waiting through the months, and It will allow me to build stronger customer base then doing nothing at all.
    What is there to do????? From what yall have explained, I dont want to get in over my head with leaf cleanup, I just dont have the equipment it requires. Do flowerbeds still need cleaning? bushes still need trimming? what do yall do other then leaf cleaning?

2. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

tree service

3. haul03486

haul03486 LawnSite Member

Gutter cleaning, home service and repair,lawn equipment repair/service, etc.

4. stevenf

Tree service as in tree removal?
    Put yourself in my shoes and give me some ideas. Just started this summer, I have a rider, two trimmers, a backpack blower, a mulching push mower, a chainsaw, and a few other hand tools. I do not have insurance.
    I was going to give gutter cleaning a try. If you had my equipment, what would you do?

5. P.Services

i didn't have insurance last year, i payed a climber $225 a for 8 hours of work his insurance covered any damage. i got the jobs and he did the work. clean cut and dry i didn't call him unless it was in excess of $1000 you do the math. don't think i cant, just do it or you will be left behind.

6. P.Services

heck your one up on me i still dont own a chain saw and the sides of all my trucks say "tree service" go figure

7. stevenf

What tree services do you take on? Just trimming? Removal?

8. stevenf

sorry, didnt see you make both of thoughs post

9. stevenf

I dont know any tree man that would do that. How much would you take on by yourself, considering you didnt have insurance?

10. P.Services

we do both i prefer full removal i make more money. you would be surprised on how cheap some people will work for. just keep your eyes open. i saw this guy walk out of the hardware store and open his trunk that was full of chain saws and climbing gear and the rest is history. i wouldn't do any if i didn't have insurance. he will be doing a job for me on Friday i charge the home owner $825 and pay him $225 then i haul out all the branches and logs the next day. i think its pretty good money.