winter work

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by GradeMan, Nov 26, 2007.

1. GradeMan

GradeMan LawnSite Member
    from canada

How do you know when it's to cold to go to work?
    What do yah think of workin in the cold to get debt payed of faster?
    How hard do think it will be on the rigging?

2. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I found last year that minus 42 below zero was my limit. Believe it or not my excavator even started at that temp, although nothing else did.

3. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Here on the lower West Coast anything below -5 celcius is too frigging cold. When the long under comes out of the drawer you know its getting cold out.

I would take rain over cold or snow.

4. GradeMan

GradeMan LawnSite Member
    from canada

Sounds like you bc babies dont like that nice crisp cold air? The air that freezes your nose hairs!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What do you think of alberta gravel rat?

5. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I would rather put on the rubber boots,rain pants and jacket than putting on long underwear and winter clothes. We never get aclimated to the temperature it can be warm then the next day the temperature drops for a couple days then it warms up.

A friend works and lives in Fort Mac he says its so cold there any exposed skin gets frostbite in seconds to minutes :dizzy:

6. GradeMan

GradeMan LawnSite Member
    from canada

I bet he makes alot of cash tho

7. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

We don't do much, my dad does improvements to the motel he owns. Apparently they're installing a new hot tub and renovating a room to use as a conference room.

I applied for a job running a snow cat grooming ski trails at a local hill. A friend of mine is my age and he's going on his 3rd year up there. Hopefully I get the job, it'll be something interesting to try out.

8. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

You know it's too cold when equipment doesn't want to start on ya, or when you start breaking teeth!

9. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

I live in cold country and if I get a chance to do a job.......I do it. Warm your machines up and don't run your excavator or skid until they are warm, even if it takes longer than you think it should. Cold weather can be brutal on equipment and cold hydraulic fluid being worked can cause breakage in pumps.

10. Construct'O

Construct'O LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Sw Iowa

Tell me about it!!!!!!!

Trencher broke down and i had to leave the wheel in the air because of electric over hydraulic valves,and having a electrical problem.

The wheel is heavy and the lift cyclinder and tilt cyclinder is holding it up.Here it is cold and the lift cyclinder is noted for shearing off bolts and letting the cyclinder come a part,because oil expanding when lift up to the top,and cold!

So woke up at 4 this morning and guess what thought came into my mind?????

Hoping!!!! it doesn't shear the bolts.So needless i'm up and killing time before i go face the damages this morning.

Got new switch to fix problem hopefully,as far as the electrical problems goes.Not looking forward to fixing cyclinder out on the sidehill in the cold!

Don't you just love it .COLD!!!!!! weather.:rolleyes:

Had to jump the truck yesterday morning to move the dozer,so there went part of yesterdays time.BURRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!:walking: