winter work

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by lawncare18, Feb 8, 2008.

1. lawncare18

lawncare18 LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Guys.. I saw some landscapers planting and mulching trees today.. temp of about 30 and snow showers... doesnt seem right to me .. I guess more or less is why now?? They were spruce trees and they were mulching them and everything was getn muddy for them. Any of you other guys work in conditions like this all winter long???
  2. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

It is actually a great time to plant trees or larger b&b items. Obviously, if it is SOAKING wet and your landscape work creates a mess, you might want to stop and wait. Installing trees in existing earth is fine- I wouldn't do any major tilling or soil work while it is wet- that's pointless. You'll create compaction and backfilling with junk is a no-no. Plus, mud is no fun to work with!
  3. lawncare18

lawncare18 LawnSite Senior Member

Just seems to cold and to cold soil temps here anyways to be planting trees??
  4. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

The plants are used to the cold soil temps :)
  5. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

What does that have to with making a living?
  6. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

If your replying to me.. I have no idea what your talking about.
  7. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

Nursery stock is not used to cold AIR they are usually babied in warm weather climates then brought up to the colder climes. No is a marginal time to be planting at best. They will need antidessicant to not have winter injury this spring.
  8. AceFinish

AceFinish LawnSite Member

Heck yah man if you can work in these conditions and not tear stuff up to bad do it. Income is income in the winter because for the most part the only cash flow right now is probably snow removal and it gets your guys hours. And no snow means no money.