Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by riverside, Jan 3, 2006.

1. riverside

riverside LawnSite Member

Me and my buddy are going to start up this year seriously cutting and take on alot of yards and we have all the equipment and trailers we need but what is there to do in the winter time like right now? What are some of the things ya'll do?
  2. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Sit here at Lawnsite and read and learn as much as you can about the industry.Personally I plow snow in the winter,when I'm not plowing I relax.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Waiting on a few late payers,learning about ar's.
  4. LawnScenes

LawnScenes LawnSite Member

I don't do any cutting (yet)... But once the ground becomes a muddy mess like it is around here now during the winter... You're not going to be doing SQUAT... lol You could plow snow... If we get any. I like setting up hardscaping and such after the leaf cleanups are done. It doesn't last all winter though because the ground eventually freezes. You could get into firewood like some people do. Just be careful you don't snag someone else's "route". Those firewood guys don't play.

I do more fencing, light clearing, and hardscaping than landscaping during the winter. This winter however everyone is getting a break from Jan 2nd till the end of March. Including myself.
  5. slebeau20

slebeau20 LawnSite Member
    from USA

I put up Christmas lights. Yes it is time consuming, but what else do you have to do. The other thing is your guaranteed Christmas comes once a year. I started doing some of my lawn customer's houses, and now I'm doing just Christmas light accounts only. Next year I'm already up to 15 houses on the list. I charge on average $130 a house.(put up and take down) You do the math Christmas light income or nothing. I also snow plow 4 commercial lots and 8 residential.
  6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I use the winter time to do maintence on my equipment, also Im a house hubby in the winter, do laundry, cook, do light cleaning(the pay isnt great but keeps the wife happy). On a more serious note, I try to mulch my regular customers during this slow time. Im a solo operator and if I wait till spring time Im swamped with mowing and dont have time to do mulching. Also it helps to generate some $$$ in the off months