Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by tjlco, Jan 6, 2013.

1. tjlco

tjlco LawnSite Senior Member

Is winter coming anytime soon????:confused: just got back from Long Island for a week. It was so nice needing a jacket.....back to reality now:cry:
  2. kandalawncaremgr

kandalawncaremgr LawnSite Member

Man I live in Chicago and we haven't even got any snow over 2 inches yet. First a summer drought now January and still no snow. Hope spring comes fast starting to dip into my savings lol
  3. zechstoker

zechstoker LawnSite Senior Member

We started seeing "California winter" weather here as of 2 weeks ago. We don't get any snow in this region, but there's plenty of frost during the mornings hours when our low temperatures are around 30. Grass has finally gone dormant for the most part, and the rain is becoming more frequent. That's about the extent of our winter weather.
  4. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

heat index of 88 degrees in my area today....:dizzy:
  5. I'm gonna be royally mad if it doesn't get cold for an extended period of time. 80/69 is not my idea of winter....
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. zturncutter

zturncutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Man it hasn't even been cold enough for a fire in my fireplace this year. My Peach trees are blooming and one has peaches started :confused:
  7. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

I agree. Too warm of a winter so far. I have spent a good portion of it sick though....sticking old flu
  8. rob7233

rob7233 LawnSite Senior Member

If we were to get a sudden freeze here in the Orlando area, the damage would be very extensive. The plants would have NO time to acclimate.
    Hell, there are new buds/blooms on a lot of the plants already. They think Spring is on it's way!

I just hate when my "vacation" gets cut short and I have to start earlier & work harder for my money.

9. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Grass slowed down later than normal. And with rain and humidity it may well start it earlier than normal. No cold weather in sight for the next week. Our temps have been above average for 30 of 38 days. Sometimes significantly higher. Today was stinking humid. If we make it to February without a cold snap, the likelihood of a strong front pushing through becomes a lot less. We didn't freeze last winter and I'd say there's a fair chance we won't this year.

To date I haven't been able to string more than three straight days off. And I'm including weekends.
  10. zturncutter

zturncutter LawnSite Bronze Member

I've heard of job security but this is ridiculous !!! It hasn't even made it below 70 yet this evening.