Winterization methods for equipment.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by BeautifulBlooms, Nov 21, 2006.

1. BeautifulBlooms

BeautifulBlooms LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking for best care practices for Engines and equipment for the winter. When working ont he golf course all my mechanics had different opinions of things.

I have heard filling the fuel tank all the way up and then addign stabilizer is good because the fuel tank cant expand and contract and thus cannot bring in any air which can later condense.

Changing the oil in the fall before storage is a good thing too, other than for the time savings in the spring?

What about the battery on the lawn mower? Should that be removed, if it matters the mower will be kept in a shed, without heat.

Just looking for some tips, as I am now in charge of my own equipment.
  2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

3. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

Regarding the battery, it needs to be charged periodically over the winter. If your weather gets very cold, it won't hurt to bring it inside.

I've found that leaving a battery on an automatic trickle charger for months will KILL it. Don't do this! Instead, put an automatic trickle charger on a timer for a few minutes per day and it will be fine. I've been doing this with my boat & JetSki, my JetSki battery has just completed it's 7th year.

I heard of a guy that didn't use a timer, but used one of these outlet adaptors on a garage door opener light instead. When the door is opened or closed, the light (and charger) are turned on for a couple of minutes.