winterization question

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Gruneich Lawn Care Inc., Sep 17, 2006.

1. Gruneich Lawn Care Inc.

Gruneich Lawn Care Inc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from SD

I have been subbing out my winterizations for awhile now, but have decided to do them on my own this year. I already have the compressor, but what else do I need to do the blowouts? Mainly hoses and fittings, I have done the blowouts with another guy, but we are not on speaking terms, so I wouldnt feel comfortable asking him.

Thanks for the help

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Regulate the pressure down to 60 psi. Standard jackhammer pressures can damage a sprinkler system.

3. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

when you guys regulate the pressure on a towbehind (IR 185), do you regulate it at the compressor or do you add a pressure regulator?

4. cush

cush LawnSite Senior Member

When I do a blowout I first walk the yard and find the shut offf. I close the supply valve and manualy open all the valves. I then drag the hose and hook up. Then I walk back to the compressor and turn it on I wait till most of the water is out then I start shutting valves down. I use the # of stations on a time to regulate the pressure. On the rotary screw compressors you don't want them to run at less than 90psi or it can damage the compressor.

5. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

that's why I was asking... I have mine set to a little below 100psi but have never found a great pressure regulator for after the compressor...

can anyone recommend a setup?

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Pressure reducers and relief valves for water will also function on air, just like a sprinkler system that runs on water will function with air pressure. It is an advantage of an older reciprocating compressor, that has head unloaders, that you can more easily set a ceiling on the outlet pressure, and prevent even your dumbest tech from blowing up a system.

7. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I run the compressor at only about 50 psi, and regulate it right at the compressor. As far as fittings go, plan on having more than you currently have… if that makes sense. Every now and then you get thrown a curve ball, and you end up kluging together a bunch of adapters. How I wish one adapter or fitting could fit all!

It seems to work out well for me with a ball valve in line just before the adapters.

8. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

"Kluging" is that a regional term? Couldn't find it in the irrigation lexicon. ;)

9. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Hmm… I wonder if the term “Jerry-rig” is in Jerry’s irrigation lexicon?

10. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Isn't that what he used to get from Texas to Wisconsin last year when he moved? :laugh: