1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rixtag, Oct 4, 2000.

1. rixtag

rixtag LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lehi Ut

Hello all. I was just wondering what you all do to winterize Your 2stokes and 4stroke engines. Just curious

2. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Watch the fuel levels, upon last use I drain the tanks, then run them until they quit. I then pour a fuel stabilizer into my main gas tank.
  3. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Here in tennessee it was so warm last year that i was useing mine into nov an i cranked it back up mid feb so ....i usually top off the tank change oil check belts make any repairs needed clean her up an wait till warm spring
  4. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

We drain the gas and run the tanks dry.
    Clean under all decks and pressure wash and paint if necessary.
    Take blades off and keep them off all winter
    Do whatever maintenance
    Jack heavy equipment to keep the weight off of the tires.

What have I forgot??

5. DO NOT drain fuel from the carb. This will dry rot the gaskets and needle and seat valve.

The problem with free advice is that it is worth about as much as you have paid for it.
  6. rixtag

rixtag LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lehi Ut

I leave the fuel in the tanks, but I add fuel stabilizer for the last 2 weeks of use. I also change oil but the question is: Do you change it again before you fire it up next season OR do you just run it? The reason for my original question is that when I winterize my waverunner I have to spray fogging oil in it ( because it is a 2stroke) and coat the internals with the oil to prevent rings sticking, rust etc. It never occured to me to do this with my mowers, trimmers etc. Any new thoughts? It would make sense to do it to all but I want other peoples ideas.

7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I fog out everything. Kohlers owners manual recommends a teaspoon of oil or so. Fogging is much better. 2 and 4 cycles all get it.
  8. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Way up North here we keep all equipment gassed and run stablizer in all equipment. Draining all gas up in colder elevations like up here in Maine will end up putting condensation in carb bowls and possible rotting gaskets.Just put stable in it and run it long enough for it to go through system!
  9. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

I fill all tanks up with gas. Change oil in the spring.
  10. HealthyLawns

HealthyLawns LawnSite Member

Move to Florida.