Winterize 2 Cycle Equipment?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowman, Nov 9, 2001.

1. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

Is there anything you do to 2 cycle equipment to store them for winter? If so what do you do to them before you put them down for the winter? Thanks.
    Mowman

2. gorrell

gorrell LawnSite Senior Member

The only thing I do is start them up and dump the gas and let them run until they die. That gets all the fuel out of the system. In the spring refill, prime, and they start on the second or third pull............Lynn

3. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Run them until they are out of fuel which keeps the carb from gumming up. Also new air filter, spark plug, and fuel filter. Check carbon buildup in exhaust port. Should start in a couple pulls next spring.

4. strickdad

strickdad LawnSite Senior Member

it also helps after you have drained fuel, to take plug out then take and put one or two drops of new clean motor oil in cylinder. pull cord a couple of times slowley and replace plug...

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I just throw mine in a water-tight barrel behind the shed. Engine down of course.

All kidding aside this is what I do.

1: When I know I'm getting real close to being done with the machine(s) I put fuel stabilizer into the gas can at the recommended ratio and use the stabilized fuel for the remaining few yards. Most good stabilizers contain anti-rusting agents. I know a lot of people just dump the remaining fuel out but there is always some fuel left in the carb. It probably won't hurt anything but I don't like to take chances.

2: When I am done using the machine(s) for the year I then dump the remaining fuel back into the gas can and run the engine until it dies. Then I put the choke on and run it until it dies again.

3: I check and clean/replace the air cleaner, fuel filter and sparkplug.

4: On my trimmers (Shindaiwa) I pump a couple of squirts of grease into the head.

5: On engines that have a bolt on cylinder I check and make sure the bolts holding the cylinder down are tight and well as any other bolts or screws that I can reach.

6: I put a few drops of 3in1 oil on the linkage and a little in the throttle cable.

7: Blow the engine off and clean up any accumulated grease or oil buildups on the engine.

8: I thank my lucky stars that someone invented these time saving machines.

6. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Quote: 1: When I know I'm getting real close to being done with the machine(s) I put fuel stabilizer into the gas can at the recommended ratio and use the stabilized fuel for the remaining few yards. Most good stabilizers contain anti-rusting agents. I know a lot of people just dump the remaining fuel out but there is always some fuel left in the carb. It probably won't hurt anything but I don't like to take chances.

2: When I am done using the machine(s) for the year I then dump the remaining fuel back into the gas can and run the engine until it dies. Then I put the choke on and run it until it dies again.

Good advice. Exactly how our dealer told us to do it.

7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I have very little to winterize. Use most things at some point all year. Great thing 'bout be'n in tha souf.

:cool:

8. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i do the same thing gorrel does. replace spark plug, dump out fuel, and run till empty.

9. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

marine engine fogger spray.i love taht stuf.
    ant

10. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Winterize, whats that?. LOL