Winterize Equipment

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Sword, Nov 26, 2004.

1. Sword

Sword LawnSite Member

Getting ready to put the equipment away for the season, and am wondering what you guys do to winterize all your equipment???

I put some gas stabilizer in the tanks, take the spark plug off, put a couple of squirts of oil, and then give it a couple of pulls.

I read in an earlier thread that you should change the oil. I usually wait till the spring and change it before first usage???

Should i be changing it before i put it away for the winter???

2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Yes, definately change the oil before you put it up for the winter because if you let it sit all winter with used oil in it, it will not be good for your engine plus the manual recommends you change it before winter storage.

3. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

The reason for changing the oil before storage it if you don't all the sediments in the old oil will settle to the bottom. makes sense right but its just my theory

4. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

Change all oil, air, gas filters. Grease and tighten all belts put sharpe blades on clean all mowers and equipment. Then drain gas and run them tell their dry. My dealer told me not to use satalizer on small engines cause it can cause the gas to gel or gum up in the lines. Just a thought.

5. lms

lms LawnSite Member

I would definitely not tighten the deck drive belt. My dealer told me to take off the spring that tensions that belt. Leaving tension on that belt just begs for a break when you spin the blades in the spring.

6. BOTURF

BOTURF LawnSite Senior Member

Never ever heard of taking tensioner spring off, and why would it break belt in spring anymore than any other time ? I almost belt 10 bucks that the dealers dont worry about taking anything loose . I been running about 14 years now and have never worried about this ever. And on the stabilzer thing if thats the case why does most of your 2 cycle mixes come with stabilzer already mixed in these days

7. Husky03

Husky03 LawnSite Senior Member

What kind of lube should you put on the belts to keep them form drying out?

8. lms

lms LawnSite Member

I was just passing along what my dealer told me. I broke the deck drive belt on my Tiger Cub a few weeks ago, and when I took it to the dealer, we got into a long conversation about winterizing. One of the things that he said I should definitely do is take the tensioner spring off for the winter. He said that the number of customers that come in because of broken belts is MUCH higher in the spring than at any other time of year. He came to the conclusion that this step helps a great deal.