Winterize your tanks

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by cenlo, Oct 2, 2005.

1. cenlo

cenlo LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

How do you guys winterize at the end of the season? .......Anti-freeze or.................................??????????????????
  2. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

RV anti-freeze works well as it is non toxic.
  3. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

Ditto :)

Pete D.
  4. I also use RV anti freeze. Non toxic and ok on the seals.
  5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I was just thinking about this yesterday... how topical.

I have owned my lesco tank sprayer for 5 years and have never used antifreeze of any kind in it for winter storage. I have just been hooking up my air compressor to the hose and blowing the hose, and in turn the pump out thru the drain plug. I make sure the ball valve is OFF to the agitator nozzle in the tank while blowing out. Once all the water is out I OPEN all the valves and leave the drain cap OFF just incase any water is left it won't get trapped by a valve, or in a valve, and split it.

SO FAR I have not had any problems doing it this way, It sits in a non insulated storage unit all winter.

Is it too much of a risk to do it this way? I know the manual says to use antifreeze, but unless I'd use about 5 gallons in the tank I can't get the pump to prime dry and suck it into the lines. I would only use the RV stuff, but still don't know exactly where I'd "dispose" of it come spring.
  6. cenlo

cenlo LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Thanks for the info.
  7. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

I've done it basically the same way as you, Jason, for over 20 years without ever a problem. I never use any type of anti freeze.
  8. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I use a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water. About 2.5 gallons of each. In the spring I punp it back into containers and save it for next season. I have done this the last 3 years.
  9. TOMMY1115

TOMMY1115 LawnSite Member

The important thing is to get the water out of the lines so you don't crack anything on the pump, or to put anti-freeze in there so the water doesn't freeze. Either way is good as long as nothing freezes!!!!!!