1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Winterized after overseed & starter fertilizer?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by antcap51, Sep 25, 2013.

1. antcap51

antcap51 LawnSite Member

I live in northern NJ and 2 weeks ago I aerated, over seeded, and applied starter fertilizer. My question is should I apply another application of fertilizer in 6 weeks that will be early to mid Nov. and if so what? Something high in nitrogen (similar to Scott's winterguard). Thanks for your help.
  2. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

The simple answer is "yes".
    NJ has a fertilizer law you should know about. Here is a good link expalining it for homeowners: http://snyderfarm.rutgers.edu/fertilizerlawFAQ.html
  3. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

That depends entirely on whether that N app in Nov. will actually be used by the plants or sits till Spring or just wasted... Any apps after mid-Oct does nothing more for the winterizing process of the grass, here in Wisco... You should actually learn what the life-cycle of your NJ turf schedule might be...
  4. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

If you are going to apply a mid to late Oct app, make sure your fert is close to all mineral so the nutrients can be utilized before freeze up.