Winterizer App. Help In Indiana

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by GravelyGuy, Oct 30, 2007.

1. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

I just finished up my fourth round of applications October 7. I am on a five application plan so my next one is the "winterizer" app. of 46-0-0. I plan on putting down around 2 lbs. per thousand to get about 1 lb. of nitrogen per thousand.

The last two nights we had a frost and freeze so the grass should start to really slow down, almost entirely stop for some. When should I start my last application. I was planning on mid November, but I am new at this. I have heard some people say put it down right after the grass goes dormant and some say right before.

They are talking snow flakes some time in the next week or two, but I was hoping for some rain because I have 4 more large aerations I need to get done and the ground may not be wet enough now to get solid plugs.

Thanks for the help.

2. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm starting my winterizers (round 5's) tommorow. We were mowing pretty steady up until this week, but everything's come to a noticable slow down. There's still growth, but not like last week. I wouldn't be afraid of starting anytime now, depending on how many you have to do. If you only have a week's worth, then you may want to wait a week or two, but if you have three or four weeks worth, time's running short to squeeze it in.

3. GravelyGuy

from Indiana

Okay thanks. Same situation here on the growth. Fortunately I only have around 20 accounts so I will be able to get them all done in 2 or 3 days:laugh: I am happy to be done with the spraying for now. I would kill to have a PG or skid sprayer, but the amount of work I have just doesn't warrant one. Once I hit around 35 accounts I am going to get one though. Probably next spring.

4. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I'm starting my last round on Thursday, but I have almost 500 lawns to do. I would start doing your apps 5-6 weeks after your made the last fertilizer application.

5. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

If you have 2 or 3 days worth, then yeah, you answered your own question. They'll be good application days in mid-November. The other thing to consider is leaves. I try to hit my residentials on Mondays, since a lot of people rake/mow on the weekend.

6. GravelyGuy

from Indiana

I'm glad that I was on track.

Hey indyturf, let me know if you ever have any equipment that still works well that you are looking to get rid of. Like next spring time.

Thanks...

7. indyturf

from Indy

Ok, I just sold a nice PG Magnum last weekend!

8. GravelyGuy

from Indiana

Do you work in the Carmel area? My brother lives there and he has his lawn taken care of by someone other than TruGreen.

9. indyturf

from Indy

No, I'm in Hendrick's Co. and west side of Indy. but there's lots of work on the north side of Indy, I just hate to fight the traffic on that side of town!