Winterizer for Northern VA Area

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lawnboy246, Nov 2, 2006.

1. lawnboy246

lawnboy246 LawnSite Member
    from 22033

For the last application of the season in the Northern VA area, is it better to go with in late November something like 46-0-0 or will that be too much nitrogen that late in the season and possibly cause problems such as snow mold? Would it be better to go with something like 18-0-18?

2. lawnboy246

from 22033

Anyone in the Northern VA area using the Lesco products?

If so, why type of program are you currently using?

3. Neal Wolbert

Neal Wolbert LawnSite Senior Member

If what you're after is a certain amount of soluble N, the type doesn't matter much, just how much you apply. 1# N from urea is about 2.2#/1000 sq. ft., 1# from 18-0-18 would be about 5.5#/1000 sq. ft. If you don't want the potash, why pay for it in the 18-0-18? What is the N recommendation from your State Univ. for winterizer and what type of N do they recommend?
    Neal

4. lawnboy246

from 22033

I checked and they call for about 3-4lbs of nitrogen annually.

5. Neal Wolbert

Neal Wolbert LawnSite Senior Member

I would ask a more pointed question...how much N should I apply as a winterizer on ????? (specie of turf) in ????? (location), and should it be in soluble form or slow release or a combination of both, then make up your mind which product to use based on their recommendation. Soil type, temp., precipitation etc. will make a difference on how the product releases and how much of it will stay in the soil until next spring. Those factors need to play a role in your decision as well.
    Neal