1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by jayteez, Sep 16, 2007.

1. jayteez

jayteez LawnSite Member

greetings all. When should I apply winterizer to my grass?

2. tbettis

tbettis LawnSite Member

in your area about 6 weeks
  3. jayteez

jayteez LawnSite Member

6 weeks..cool. thank you.
  4. jayteez

jayteez LawnSite Member

one more question. I currently cut my grass on its highest setting. Winter is closely approaching. On the final cut prior to dormancy, should I cut it shorter or continue to leave its highest setting? thanks for the advice.
  5. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

Not too sure about your area, but around here we always gradually reduce our mowing height going into the winter season. We have trouble with various snow molds. Also, our spring season is generally pretty wet and we can't always get out and mow as early as we should.
  6. jayteez

jayteez LawnSite Member

thank you, sir.
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

The only reason I run hot season settings is because the higher cut helps keep the lawn greener and somewhat prevent weeds as well, there really is no other reason besides the heat. So as soon as the temps drop below 90 for certain, I start bringing my mower blades from summer settings towards cool season heights. I just finished that transition, thou I've got a few lawns still a step behind, this should be the last week of nonsense cut heights for me :laugh:

In the summer I cut at least 3.5" and as high as 4.625", that stuff has to come back down or you will hate life come spring. Grass does grow in the winter, even if only real slow, but man come spring that stuff will shoot up out of control, and you don't need that.

Now I can't just drop from 4.5" to 3" one cut to the next, I usually drop the cut 1/4 - 1/2" every cut and space the cuts about 8-10 days apart, a little closer together than normal, mainly so it doesn't clump. This might result in having to cut it one more time per season, but wait until you raise the heights and see how it spaces that out lol.

That 3" cut is for larger decks (42" and better), for smaller decks (like 21" - 32") a 2.5" height is dandy, see the shorter the grass the easier the leaves are to clean up as well, only issue with the big decks is the scalloping.