Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by tracyalan, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Good post. I agree that organic fert does not spike the green growth, nor does it 'force' the green growth in the spring. Earthworms are definately worth everything to any soil. Too bad they don't take synthetics NPK prills down into the root zone. :)
  2. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

i haven't read the entire thread, but perhaps the grass can absorb and assimilate the mineral nutrients and store them in its roots and crown during times when the leaves are dormant.

Perhaps the carbs required for mineral assimilation and spring growth are manufactured and stored during early fall when photosynthesis is taking place without top-growth.

Early fall.. manufacture and store carbohydrates

Late fall and early winter... assimilate and store necessary mineral nutrients

Spring... use stored carbs and stored nutrients to quickly manufacture new top growth so you can manufacture carbs ASAP.

Summer... Manufacture carbs and use the energy in reproduction (seed production)

Fall... after reproduction continue to manufacture carbs to store for the next springs leaf growth.

That's how I see it anyways. Could be right, could be wrong. Peace out.

Oh, also, can a plant absorb carbs without spending more energy than the carbs are worth? Only if they are soluble. (think active vs passive transport) Microbes must make them soluble for them to be worth assimilating. In other words, I think assimilation and root absorbtion is mainly used for nutrients, not energy... hence the need for plants produce their own energy. Again, peace out. I gotta go cut some cow.
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  3. tracyalan

tracyalan LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the input. Glad to see that there are alot out there that "do" know what they are doing.
  4. bx24

bx24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA/TX

Sure, until you have moles! :laugh::dizzy:
  5. nc-jrock

nc-jrock LawnSite Member
    from NC

What source of N do any of you recommend for late fall apps? Is urea considered organic/natural?
  6. shutzero

shutzero LawnSite Member
    from ct

What is recomended for Connecticut? I was going to go with scotts but what do u guys think
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. Smallaxe

I don't think the type of fert matters much. I personally use Milorganite on the organically cultured soils and that usually does it.
  8. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

In theory, I believe all of what Smallaxe has to say to be true.
    What I believe generally is not true is vastly varying soil's structure's' abilities to contain highly soluble 46-0-0 for long enough periods of time so that the vastly varying root systems of turf we all deal with can adequately & cost-effectively make the most efficient use of it.

As with what commonly occurs in agriculture worldwide, a significant & varied % of lawn care urea gets wasted annually into the water table and/or off into the watershed, depending upon factors like overall turf density, slope, local soil type & overall porosity.

This is only one reason why the use of quick-release N should be severely limited in the late fall, and in some of the more sensitive parts of the country restricted in turf, as it's entering dormancy, and certainly after its already achieved dormancy.
  9. Smallaxe

Good point Marcos... that is why I am concerned about zone 4 turf being 'winterized' around Thansgiving time. We could easily be under permanent winter cover a couple of weeks later. What's going to happen to this N?

Last year I used time release on a couple of yards, in late Oct., and the prills were still there last spring. So in reality they got a spring feeding right at the surface where I didn't want it. Then after the heavy spring rains they were gone. Probably into the drink....

This year the winterizer is going on now, and it is Milorganite.
  10. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Q: What likely happened to quick-release "winterizer" fertilizer applied around Thanksgiving in Wisconsin?
    A: The lion's share of it no doubt ended up either in surface tributaries or your area's drinking water aquifer. :wall

What's the avg soil temp where you are right now?
    It's got to be on the decline, and fast...
    Do you think you'll still get significant plant up-take this fall from your October round of Milorganite? :confused: