Winterizing a lawn after frost.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by proenterprises, Nov 18, 2005.

1. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

I had a client ask me to spread winterizer fert. for them in the upcoming week. My question-is it okay to spread this even though we have had frosts already, and the temps are in the 20's at night?

2. proenterprises

bump.....anyone??

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

As it is getting late, the grass is going to stop growing and even uptaking. Without the rains, that N will just sit there all winter and get washed down in the spring...This will give you that sudden flush of growth and jumpstart out of dormancy we don't want. That would be like the same thing as just putting that straight quick release N down in the early spring before the grass comes out of dormancy. The idea of a winterizer is to have the plant take up the nutrients and store them within the plant. This will not happen this late in the game if you are already getting freezing temps, unless we get rains and a warmup.

4. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Depending on your source of N, it most likely would all be leached out long before next Spring anyway. It won't just sit there, because N moves through the soil profile.

Since the turf has most likely stopped growing by now, it won't store any of the nutrients.

I'd say it is a waste of time and money.

5. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

6. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

The key statement from that being.....

7. proenterprises

Thanks for your help guys.