Winterizing Aerators

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by lawnspecialties, Sep 13, 2006.

1. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Well, this year I broke down and purchased a Plugr aerator. Just really got tired of renting and killing myself to get all my residentials done in one week. But now I'm already wondering the best course of action to winterizing this machine when all is said and done. It has the 4.5hp Honda.

First thing I'll do is change the oil. That seems a no-brainer. But what about the fuel and any other things I've not thought about. Should I just use fuel stabilizer or drain the tank and carb? If I drain the carb, will the gaskets and seals be OK? What about the cylinder? Is this a big deal or should I spray it with some type of lubricant? I don't want to get out of hand here, but an aerator most of the time just sits there ten months out of twelve. I'd rather do the work now than put up with the hassle next year.

Thanks for any input or suggestions.:)

P.S. Before I catch any flak from Dano; yes, I'm going to spray down the tines and other exposed parts with Fluid Film.:laugh:
  2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

There are a few ways to winterize a machine, One is to fill the tank full then add stabilizer run for 10 minutes then put it away. But even with the stabilizer it's not a bad idea to drag it out every other month and pop it off for 10 minutes then put it back up.