1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Winterizing Equipment?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kooba, Nov 16, 2007.

1. kooba

kooba LawnSite Member

What do you guys do to winterize your mowers/blowers/weedeaters for the winter? I'm done for the year and am to lazy to look at the owners manual on what to do. Thanks, kooba.
  2. AndyTblc

AndyTblc LawnSite Fanatic

Empty all the gas out of the 2 cycle equipment, such as trimers and blowers, and start them up and run them dry. Then the 4 cycles stuff. I put fuel stable in the tank, and fill it up. Some people like to shut the valves off, or keep the level low or fill the tank up so there won't be any vapors. I like to put stable and fill it up and run that fuel/stable mix threw the engine so it gets in the carb and what not. And in the mower, I'll change the oil
  3. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

I started to winterize today, I add extra air in the tires to keep them inflated, they loose air just sitting, I also had to go to a car wash to wash down the mowers since we can't use outside water here in GA. I will grease the mowers good and checked the battery and bought a Battery Tender for the Walker and also my Harley. I use Sea Foam in my gas and do what the last person said.
  4. JayD

JayD LawnSite Silver Member

Thats a good idea for tires, thanks, but on that fuel stabilizer stuff, my dealer told me awhile back to stay away from that stuff because all it does is puts film in carb. and so on. Have you been using this stuff for a long time?
  5. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

I myself have been using stabil for about 10 years now and never had a problem yet , also some of the 2cycle oil has stabil in it too
  6. JayD

JayD LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks for the info, I just wanted to hear from a few of you guys about this because I know that the mechanic at my dealer had told me that last year. I figured since he was the one who worked on them that he would know. But that just his opinion. I see that you are in Indiana too. Nice to meet you.
  7. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

when i put my 2 strokes away i run stable in them for like the last tank and drain them and start till carb empty. mowers i just put stable in them and then shut gas off and let mower run out of gas that way stable gets into the carbs too so they dont get raw gas in them in the winter.
    also i use triple the amount of stable they call for. doing it for like 15 years and in my motorcycles, no problems
  8. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Its so mild in the winter here I do noting except start them every so often.
  9. AndyTblc

AndyTblc LawnSite Fanatic

I have been using stable for a long time, I have 2 push mowers, I haven't used the older one for about 2 years, and I had stable in there. I put fresh gas in there, primed it 3 times, and it started right up no problem, surprised me.
  10. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

I have never winterized. Im only NOT working for maybe a month here and there. If possible I am out doing cleanups.

When the spring rolls around I put a new air filter in, make sure they are greased, drain and refill with fresh gas, change the oil and put new blades on.

I dont know how people can pack up considering its only November. I still have at least 2 months of work in front of me before spring hits.