1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Winterizing Equipment

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by packerbacker, Dec 30, 2004.

1. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

What do you guys do to your equipment for the winter after your all done with the cleanups to get them ready for storage?

2. Lawnchoice

Lawnchoice LawnSite Senior Member

Pressure wash

Grease all zerks

Sta-bil in tanks

Store in a dry spot!

3. sethsodsquad

sethsodsquad LawnSite Member

Search for this topic - the search feature comes in handy for this kind of question. I believe if you look for the threads that I have contributed to, you will find this "winterizing equipment" topic.

Seth

4. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

I had some guy tell me to drain the oils also so they didnt gum up in the engine?

5. Lawnchoice

Lawnchoice LawnSite Senior Member

Might have heard that once but have never done that in over 10 years.

I guess it would depend on how long it sits and how cold your storage area gets.

I winterize in mid December and sometimes have them running again in late March.

6. cush

cush LawnSite Senior Member

everything above plus i change all fluids and filters look for any broken missing or warn parts. Remove batteries and put them on a tender. watch football and drink beer or listen to music makes all this go buy much faster.

7. sodgod

sodgod LawnSite Member

ya i fill the tanks to the top and put sta-bil in the gas, change oil for next year, do a good cleaning of the equipment. i never drain the gas out of 4 stroke engines, only the 2-stroke. the seals could dry up on ya. its a lot of gas to fill the tanks but i'll b all set for next spring.

8. mownredneck

mownredneck LawnSite Member

I dont think draining the oil in a 4 stroke engine is a great idea. Knowing me i would forget to put oil back in it when i used it again.