1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Winterizing mowers???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DoetschOutdoor, Nov 13, 2006.

1. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

My three mowers will be kept in my enclosed trailer this winter since I have no room in the garage. Is there anything that I should do to prepare them for the cold? The winters here dont get too bad although the trailer seems to not keep the cold out very well...this is my first time not being able to store indoors so I would appreciate any help on the issue.
  2. TNT Lawncare

TNT Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I run some Seafoam with the gas the last time I run the mower. Not only is it a fuel stabilizer, but it also cleans everything. It is great stuff. Also, a battery tender doesn't hurt so in April when you go to start your mowers, you won't have a dead battery.
  3. Curtis

Curtis LawnSite Member

I've heard alot of good things about that Seafoam . I would also take the plug out and squirt a few drops of oil in the hole since you keep them outside . Wouldn't hurt to fill the tanks up to keep the condensation down .
  4. causalitist

causalitist LawnSite Senior Member

i use "stabil" in the fuel. its probably similar to seafoam.
    i also use engine fogging oil.. spray it in the cylinder and turn it over a few times with the plug out, then put the plug in. alot of wear is caused by a piston just sitting in one spot all winter with condensation and then starting it right up... this ensures that the piston etc will be clean and lubbed when you first turn it over after sitting forever.
  5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I'd do the stabil but I take my batteries inside and charge them once a month over the winter. Change your oil before it sits all winter. Old oil has many impurities and acids in it and you don't want that sitting in the sump all winter. Make sure all heavy dirt is off the bottom of the decks and grease em good. I still have a few days to go but I'm smelling the end.
  6. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

Did not know that. Thanks,
  7. TNT Lawncare

TNT Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Stabil is alright but did you know it goes bad after a while. When is starts not looking as red as it should it is no longer going to work. Seafoam does not go bad. If you don't believe me, call the companies that make these products and they will tell you.
  8. A.D Services

A.D Services LawnSite Member

oh seafoam is awsome and it doesnt go bad:cool2:
  9. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I use stabil and fill the fuel tank completely, to reduce condensation in the tank.

I also remove the plugs and spray fogging oil in the cylinders, crank it a few times, and reinstall the plugs.

I put blocks under the mower where the drive tires are, to prevent flat-spots.
  10. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Ya Seafoam is great stuff. For use in cars, boats and mowers. I always wondered why an oil change is needed in winterizing