1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Winterizing Question

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by coxlandscaping, Nov 23, 2007.

1. coxlandscaping

coxlandscaping LawnSite Member

I need to ask you some advice we received a call from a local department store they were in a panic because the company they hired to do there lawn maintenance does not do anything with irrigation they want to hire us to winterize there system I went by there yesterday to take a look out side at what we might me dealing with there is no place to blow out the system there backflow is a Zurn Wilkins 975XL RP My question is can I just turn the water off and run each zone to possible drain out as much water as I can or is it possible to blow out thru the RP with out damage about all of our installs we try to give a way of blowing the system out there backflow is protected with a insulated box or hotbox thanks for any help
  2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

try using the downstream testcock for your air hookup
  3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Probably over 60% of the systems we winterize are through the testcocks on the backflow preventers. Because many companies do not install a blow out point. I have honestly never SEEN any damage that we have caused in 15 years. Never a melted bonnet/poppet, or check valve, or diaphragm or gasket or anything. Should you blow out from a port past the backflow? Yes. Can you blowout through the backflow? Yes. We've fought about this many times on this site.
  4. Wet_Boots

Downstream = sure thing
    Upstream = your mileage may vary (we don't see your compressor) due to hot air
  5. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

I dont know about the test **** getting enough volume to take the water out of the low spots. Usually we put a boiler drain between the shut off and b-flow to blow thru the b-flow. If you are worried you could also disconect the pipe below grade hook up a boiler drain to the pipe by adp- you could guarantee the blow out after the b-flow and charge more, or you could have a service plumber cut in a boiler drain after shut off so there is no worry. Up here it gets into the single digits so we need to get all the water out.
  6. Wet_Boots

"volume to take water out of the low spots" ?? - you done any research on this? Got some numbers? Pretty much anything under an acre can easily be done through a testcock. Only problem I ever ran into, using a truckmount dinky, was an old Rainbird (Watts-made) PVB's poppet dropping before a zone was finished blowing out, and having to ratchet the air pressure up to 100 psi before I could get it to reseal.

I think there may be a popular misconception that lots of water is being left behind during blowouts with less-than-optimal air supplies, but I would doubt that. So far, using repeat zone openings on some systems I do with a small truckmount, no 'hidden' water is ever showing up. (this is the power of air-water surface tension at work, as the moving air moves the water it touches)
  7. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

how old is the system? maybe it hasn't been in the past in which case you might go w/ the drain and shutoff route. but I'm not familiar w/ tn practices
  8. Mjtrole

Mjtrole LawnSite Member

You will get all of the water out of the low spots throught the test valves, especially if you are using a 185 there is so much backpressure built up. If you need to throw on a saddle just for winterizing.
  9. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

how do u poke a hole when u use those saddles?